Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which .284 build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which .284 build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighBoard View Post
Since I have dies, brass & bullets for all, I think I will follow this path. This will eliminate leaving me with a set of "spare" dies & parts that won't have a need
Thanks for the advice.
You could always sell your .280 dies on here or ebay, and then use the money for .280 AI dies. Other than the dies, all the rest of your components will be the same.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You could always sell your .280 dies on here or ebay, and then use the money for .280 AI dies. Other than the dies, all the rest of your components will be the same.
Or if he decided on the AI, he could send the 280 dies along and the smith could use the reamer to recut the dies too!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
Or if he decided on the AI, he could send the 280 dies along and the smith could use the reamer to recut the dies too!
I think you have to use a sizing die reamer for dies, and those are another $95+. It would be cheaper than a set of dies if the smith already had the die reamer. Or he could send them to the die manufacturer and have them do it, but I'm not sure how much that would cost? Might be cheaper than new dies. The Redding non-bushing 280 AI dies are about $85.00 for a set. The RCBS dies are between $55.00-$145 depending on which dies you go with.

It's all in what he decides to do and which route is cheaper.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

I hunt in South Carolina as well. I have a Hart on my 7 mag and 600 yds will be a chip shot. No big deal at all. I use the 162 Amax with excellent results. Stick with the 7 mag and all will be fine. Don't make it complicated
Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

I will be in SC Nov 2-9 hunting with my brother. I am taking my 6.5-284 and 270. Both shooting Bergers, 140 and 150 VLDs respectively. I've not killed anything with either yet. I hope to hit the range this coming weekend with the 6.5. I have a set load for the 270.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
So I could use the 280rem brass I have on hand (approx. 500 new brass) for 280AI chamber?

Is there that much more performance in the 280AI over 280?

Also, since I already have the new .284 barrel and decided to get a new M700 action in lieu of using one of the 3 I have, should I consider something in .284 Short action as opposed to the 280/280AI?

Just want a new .284 rifle I suppose... short or long, and not real familiar with all the chamberings. Again, deer & 500 gongs max
Old 10-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighBoard View Post
So I could use the 280rem brass I have on hand (approx. 500 new brass) for 280AI chamber?

Is there that much more performance in the 280AI over 280?

Also, since I already have the new .284 barrel and decided to get a new M700 action in lieu of using one of the 3 I have, should I consider something in .284 Short action as opposed to the 280/280AI?

Just want a new .284 rifle I suppose... short or long, and not real familiar with all the chamberings. Again, deer & 500 gongs max
Yes, but if your smith has a newer SAAMI spec reamer, you will need to run the .280 brass through your sizing die to knock that shoulder back .014", before you load them. This way they will fit snugly in the chamber for fire-forming, and won't be too long. Then after you shoot them that one time, you're fireformed and ready to go.

Personally I don't like short magnums. Just my personal preference.

As for short-action non-magnum calibers, I have a 7mm-08, and have since I was probably 10 or 12, but it's not my first choice in caliber for whitetails. When I was 16 I moved up to a 7RM and never looked back, and the 7mm-08 has pretty much sat in the closet and collected dust since then. I would think you would be much happier with the standard .280 Rem or the .280 AI over a 7mm-08.

Quote: