Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which .284 build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which .284 build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
I'm curious, because I don't know how it's done, but how is the bolt face reworked to accommodate the smaller diameter?
You can fill-weld (TIG) and recut the bolt face, but it's a biotch. It would be easier just to buy a PTG standard bolt body, or buy a used bolt on ebay or online.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

the 7mag seems like a lot better "gap filler" between the 270/30-06 and the 300win then building another 30-06 based round and dealing with the bolt.
Savage LRH 6.5x284
Old 09-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

Use the best action of the .270 and 30-06. Sell the two remaining rifles for $$ to fund the rest of the build.

Since you have a long action, go with the .280 AI

I love the 7mmWSM and your long action would work but short is my favotite
Old 09-29-2013, 05:30 PM

It is obvious that you don't need a new rifle/caliber for shooting SC deer at 200 yards or shooting gongs at 100 to 600 yards.

The .270 is perfect for shooting SC deer out to 200 yards and farther if need be. I believe one of our members here was shooting deer and elk with a rebarreled (tighter twist) .270 at 800/900 yards with the new matrix heavier long bullets. And like the other three calibers you have anyone of them would probably ring gongs to 600 yards unless none of them are accurate enough.

From the sounds of it, you just want to build a new rifle in .280 caliber. I would suggest just building it from parts as your finances allow, pick up an action when you see one for the right price in the classifieds or else where, as well as finding a stock the same way. Don't destroy or take apart any of the classic caliber model 700 Remington rifles you already have. The .270, .30-06 and the 7RM are all classics with readily obtained over the counter ammunition if necessary.

To me it is obvious that you need to build a 4th rifle ... and build it from parts other then your current rifles. You don't need a .280 immediately such as for your SC deer hunt, as any of the other rifles will fill the niches you want for the short term. But you want a new .280 so take the time, buy parts as they become available and get her done in 6 months to a year as finances and time permit.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
I'm curious, because I don't know how it's done, but how is the bolt face reworked to accommodate the smaller diameter?
If I use the 7mm Mag, I will install a Sako extractor along with a bushing. The bushing will be used to go from .540 (7mm mag) to .470 (280 rem).

Little bit of mill / lathe work, but that's all part of installing the Sako anyways.

If I went with 270/30-06 I doubt I would install the Sako extractor.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm670 View Post
It is obvious that you don't need a new rifle/caliber for shooting SC deer at 200 yards or shooting gongs at 100 to 600 yards.

agree

From the sounds of it, you just want to build a new rifle in .280 caliber. Bingo! I would suggest just building it from parts as your finances allow, pick up an action when you see one for the right price in the classifieds or else where, as well as finding a stock the same way. Don't destroy or take apart any of the classic caliber model 700 Remington rifles you already have. The .270, .30-06 and the 7RM are all classics with readily obtained over the counter ammunition if necessary.

Thats pretty sound advice

To me it is obvious that you need to build a 4th rifle ... of course, just can't live without it...!! and build it from parts other then your current rifles. You don't need a .280 immediately such as for your SC deer hunt, as any of the other rifles will fill the niches you want for the short term. But you want a new .280 so take the time, buy parts as they become available and get her done in 6 months to a year as finances and time permit.
Since I have dies, brass & bullets for all, I think I will follow this path. This will eliminate leaving me with a set of "spare" dies & parts that won't have a need
Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Gold Member

Very wise decision!