Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

284 barrel, 1/8" twist?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

284 barrel, 1/8" twist?

I want my new 7mm project to shoot the new, high BC bullets that have been emerging from various makers, so want to go with a 1 in 8 twist.

I am aware that Pacnor makes a 1/8", but short of going out and reviewing every maker's site, am not sure of any other options. I guess the cut rifling makers could all make me something, but the button rifling options will be limited to the buttons on hand.

Can anyone suggest any other barrel makers that currently offer a .284 barrel in a 1/8" twist?
Old 08-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 284 barrel, 1/8" twist?

1:9 twist will do you fine for up to 180 Berger VLD's...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
1:9 twist will do you fine for up to 180 Berger VLD's...
No doubt, but I don't want to shoot those light bullets.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

I have an 8" twist Krieger.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

180's....Light? LOL

I might need you to send me a box of whatever the hell yall are shootin out there in Oz!

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

Well, we have very little that is unique, as the vast majority of bullets we shoot in Australia are made in the USA.

But my thinking is that 180gn Bergers would be the lightest conventional bullet I would use in the rifle, and would like the ability to shoot a 195gn Berger if they ever eventuate.

And I want to be able to shoot the new style "non-con" bullets like the Cutting Edge 170gn MTH_J02. So the 1/8" gives me options beyond trying to work on the ragged edge of stability for the very long for caliber bullets that maximise BC.

Hence the drive to identify options in a faster than usual twist. It seems like a number of manufacturers are stuck in the older paradigm, where a /9" twist barrel catered to every 7mm bullet on the market. Some as mentioned offer a 1/8", but many don't. Just trying to identify viable options before I go shopping.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

I think Brux, Broughton, and Obermeyer all make a 1:8...But not positive.

Quote: