Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

.280 vs .280 Ackley ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Gold Member

.280 vs .280 Ackley ?

In your opinion is their really any gained advantages to having a Ackley over the standard .280 Really what does 100 fps advantage really give you?
Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .280 vs .280 Ackley ?

The .280 Ackley Improved is a more efficient cartridge. 150 fps faster & 100 fpe more than a .280 Rem, and 150 fps slower, and 100 fpe less than a 7mm RemMag. It is dead in the middle.

To answer your question....150 fps, is 150 fps gained. What is there not to like?

Personally, .280 AI is my choice.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Gold Member

I like the ackley's because in my .243 AI I have put may brass through some tuff loads and I have not had to trim. I talked to a guy out at our Rifle range that had two .280AI and said he could come really close to the ballistics of the 7mm M.

I noticed that most of the reloading manuals give you loads that are warm but not hot.............In your experiance can you take your load past the Max in the reloading manuals. Nosler seems to have the hottest loads over Berger or Sierra. I guess each rifle is different and what you can get out of one you can not get out of the other.

The Ackley cartridges just look better.......

G
Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

I am still in the parts-gathering process of my .280 AI build, because it will be an unusual project for me. I will be making my 700 into a "switch-barrel" rifle, and I will be using 2 different calibers, .280 AI and .25-06 AI, so I can swap back and forth, since I only have 1 standard bolt-face long-action sitting around. All the rest are magnum long-actions.

Therefore, I don't have any experience loading for that caliber yet...But will keep you informed once I do get things underway.

However, in my other calibers I have gone past book specs on a few, but have found that some books are warm, while other books really like to give you a MAX recommended load. For example, my Nosler 7 book gets you warm...But my Berger manual when it says MAX load, they truly mean, proceed with caution if you go any hotter than this...

Also, different calibers are different. For example, my .308 isn't very picky at all about which loads I put in it. My Rem 7mm STW, Browning 7mm RemMag, and Accumark .257 Wby are VERY picky, and you have to find the proper node for the barrel.

Seems to me that in my experience, the non-magnum calibers don't seem to be as picky as the magnum calibers are at finding a "sweet-spot" in your load.

Granted, I am far from an expert at anything, I'm just giving my opinoin and my experiences.

So, once I get my .280 AI built, I'll let you know how the load development goes, and how picky it is, or is not.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 08-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

I believe that even Kenny Jarrett, a major advocate of the 280 AI, eventually found himself admiring and using the 300 WM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Gold Member

Yes keep me posted as Im very interested in that caliber.

rimrockhunter@gmail.com

I like the idea of the 300 Win. Mag but dont like the recoil that you would get with a 200gr + bullet and I have heard that a MB is more than loud but really loud. When shooting next to someone with a MB at the Rifle Range its very unpleasant. I cant imagine shooting one when you dont have ear protection.

Right now that .280AI seem like the way to go I read that Darrel Holland shoots a standard .280 using the 168gr Berger and has taken Elk at 800yrds.............

To be realistic I know that my .243AI has limitations and that to be serious about taking a really nice buck or Bull I need to get something larger.

G
Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
Yes keep me posted as Im very interested in that caliber.

rimrockhunter@gmail.com

I like the idea of the 300 Win. Mag but dont like the recoil that you would get with a 200gr + bullet and I have heard that a MB is more than loud but really loud. When shooting next to someone with a MB at the Rifle Range its very unpleasant. I cant imagine shooting one when you dont have ear protection.

Right now that .280AI seem like the way to go I read that Darrel Holland shoots a standard .280 using the 168gr Berger and has taken Elk at 800yrds.............

To be realistic I know that my .243AI has limitations and that to be serious about taking a really nice buck or Bull I need to get something larger.

G
Shhhhhhh!!!! Don't tell anyone one here that! They seem to think you can't kill them unless you have a .338 or bigger caliber... I'm serious, I've been in alot of arguements on here wondering why you weren't supposed to use anything smaller than a .338 caliber. I've never shot one, I was curious as to why not, since alot of people killed them with 7mm RemMags back in the day.

Personally, I'm a fan of shot-placement. And by that logic, a 7mm bullet can be just as effective as a .50 BMG if you shoot a moose in the pump-house...

There's a guy on here who killed a HUGE bull moose @ 900+ yards, dead in his tracks, with a 7mm Rem Mag. I remember seeing his pictures in the thread, but can't remember his name. There's not much to argue with after bringing that one up.....

Quote:

Last edited by MudRunner2005; 08-08-2013 at 02:08 PM.