Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

280 rem trajectory doesnt seem right

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: 280 rem trajectory doesnt seem right

Thanks Bryan, no offense taken.

I think if one does the chart as you show it, and inputs enough data to steer the results closer to the actual trajectory (which is what we should do, as I know you'd advocate)... then things look much better.

But if you take a chart from the back of your handloading manual... or just do a quickie on JBM without adding enough pertinent data... you can get what appear to be strange results.

I do think that bullet crossing line of sight has got to have some impact on the final, perfected chart. There's just too many odd things happening out there in the field to explain it any other way...

Dan
Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Whats your scope height? Get that input wrong and you can run around in circles for a while wondering just WTH is going on. I know this :P I ran your bullet and vel across Bryan's calc and with your scope I set scope height at 1.8". At 3" at @100 you should see 3" high @200 but as Green788 pointed out it doesn't always work out that way. could be a parallax issue (you may not have it adjusted even though your sure you did). Could be and adjustment you made to your shooting position between yardages. 1" at 200 is a pretty damned small amount to be off and most anything can cause it to show up, just the nature of the beast if your not very very consistent with how you shoot. At any rate keep after it and you'll get it figured out.

Bryan's suggestion on a 100yrd Zero, is how I would go about it personally, or at least go dead on at 200.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 PM

thanks guys....ill keep shootin and let it do what it do
Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Silver Member

I believe Brian is on the money in a couple of ways. First, make sure your scope height is very accurate. Then, as Brian suggests, use a hundred yard zero. I like it because all of your dope is in positive numbers, you are not starting with negative drops at short range and changing to positive at longer. That will give you an idea of what the bullet is doing as it goes downrange. With a 3" high "zero", (it isn't a zero if it is 3" high), there are a lot of variables to deal with. Namely, are you really 3" high, or almost? Get an absolute zero at 100 and go from there. I do mean absolute, no "close enough". Once you can smack a small dot at 100, then check your actual drops at distance to see how it line up with a chart. Tweak your input numbers to get them to match you actual drops and then go smack things.
If you are looking for a maximum point blank range for hunting, then a 2 or 3" high zero at 100 will do fine, although your real zero will be set a longer distance.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.