close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

280 AI Capabilities?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 11-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 5,514
280 AI Capabilities?

Every time there is a 270 win thread everyone comes out of the woods saying a 280 AI is so much better, since I've never loaded for one but have loaded a fair number of 270 stuff I would like to know just what is the 280 capable up that a 270 isn't, when I look at Ammo guide I see nothing that impresses me or am I missing something.
__________________
"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 11-13-2011, 06:12 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Posts: 118
    Re: 280 AI Capabilities?

    While I have not loaded for a .270, I don't think it is capable of sending a 162 gr. bullet down range at 3000 fps like I can do with a 280 AI.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 11-13-2011, 06:16 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: Alaska
    Posts: 4,646
    Re: 280 AI Capabilities?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
    Every time there is a 270 win thread everyone comes out of the woods saying a 280 AI is so much better, since I've never loaded for one but have loaded a fair number of 270 stuff I would like to know just what is the 280 capable up that a 270 isn't, when I look at Ammo guide I see nothing that impresses me or am I missing something.
    I've got a couple .280 RCBS Improved rifles. They're basically a 7mm Rem Mag minus 150 fps at the muzzle. And perhaps a larger offering of bullets for LRH compared to the .277 caliber. I use 162 Amax and 168 VLD in mine.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 11-13-2011, 06:24 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: SW Montana
    Posts: 5,514
    Re: 280 AI Capabilities?

    How fast are you pushing the 162 and 168's?

    I can push a 165 Matrix with a .650 BC at 2835fps comfortably with a straight 270 win, AI it and move the shoulder forward and I think 2950 ish would be easy.
    __________________
    "Pain is weakness leaving your body"
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 11-13-2011, 06:42 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: Alaska
    Posts: 4,646
    Re: 280 AI Capabilities?

    2937 fps for the 162 Amax, with a 28 inch barrel.

    About the same for the VLD. The Amax shot better in my Brux barreled .280 RCBS.

    I'm not familiar with the Matrix bullet.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 11-13-2011, 06:55 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: OREGON
    Posts: 833
    Re: 280 AI Capabilities?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
    How fast are you pushing the 162 and 168's?

    I can push a 165 Matrix with a .650 BC at 2835fps comfortably with a straight 270 win, AI it and move the shoulder forward and I think 2950 ish would be easy.

    How is that possible? what length barrel do you have. I barely get 3000 FPS with a 130 gr 270 with max charge of 4350..
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 11-13-2011, 06:58 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: SW Montana
    Posts: 5,514
    Re: 280 AI Capabilities?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
    2937 fps for the 162 Amax, with a 28 inch barrel.

    About the same for the VLD. The Amax shot better in my Brux barreled .280 RCBS.

    I'm not familiar with the Matrix bullet.
    Matrix Ballistics out of Canada A Outstanding bullets, they have a 165 and 175gr VLD for the 270 guys the BC are .650 and .700 in the field, between me and a few buddies we've taken 4 elk the last couple weeks with them from 85-865 yrds.
    __________________
    "Pain is weakness leaving your body"
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: 280 AI Capabilities?
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    300. wsm capabilities on game like moose and elk? matt_3479 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 8 06-27-2011 06:33 AM
    .303 Capabilities uncle curt Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 8 12-13-2010 12:33 PM
    303 British capabilities uncle curt General Discussion 0 12-04-2010 08:10 PM
    Sako 75, 300 WSM Capabilities??? canada_kid Long Range Hunting & Shooting 2 01-17-2009 10:06 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC