Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

280 ack imp 40 degrees vs Nosler brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 280 ack imp 40 degrees vs Nosler brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc...20Improved.pdf

Straight from SAAMI's website.

Based on the SAAMI website cartridge drawing, the spec's of the one above are off a bit, but close.

I've used Nosler 280AI brass in a chamber cut for the "so called" older original wildcat 280AI with no issues. This was done in two different chambers.
As have I, in probably a half dozen or more with never a problem. BUT, until recently unfired nosler .280AI brass when checked with a comparator measured exactly the same fireformed .280 nosler cases when fired in an older chamber. The most recent lot of brass I picked up is .006 short. Probably not a huge deal to most, but I like to control the headspace on my brass. The only way I am going to use the new brass in a non saami chamber is to neck it up and form a shoulder when I neck it back down. If you turn a mandrel that only necks the brass up .005 or so it is not going to work the brass overmuch.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Tom the point I was making that all Nosler did from Manual 4 to Manual 6 was change the depth of the bullet seating - no way in hell the ballistics would remain the same when you go from 97% load density to a compressed load at %105 but magically all remained the same. So much for care and concern in publishing reloading data.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

The load density changed when Nosler started using Nosler brass. The brass thickness is what changed the load density. While it may have been an OAL length value, I suspect wall thickness of the brass.

My own Nosler 280ai brass weighs different than my fireformed 280R brass.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharfo View Post
Thanks Nosler for confusing some of us, its always good to be confused when loading ammunition!
Great post, so true. That should be the title of this thread. Before I was sure there was a 14 thou difference. Now I'm unsure. It could be the same. Or 6 thou. Or maybe 14 after all. Maybe it depends on the chamber. Or the dies.

When reloading I always err on the side of caution - looks like more fireforming in my future!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

I talked with a local gunsmith about the shoulder being .014 shorter and he took a shell holder and cut .014 off the top of it so I would be able to use my Redding dies for either version of the 280 Ackley and not have to buy a new set of dies for my Kimber.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Van, don't forget to hit me up if get anymore Fed STW, 7Mag, or .257 Wby brass...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 PM

Dumb question: if we shoot a SAAMI nosler factory round or reloaded new brass through an original AI chamber, won't it fireform to the original (0.014 longer) chamber and be fine for remaining reloads?