Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

280 ack imp 40 degrees vs Nosler brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 280 ack imp 40 degrees vs Nosler brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
Good, I don't like them either

The Lee Collet IS NOT a bushing die
Sorry, I hear it alot from guys who like bushing dies. LOL

Really kind of looking for the RCBS ones. But thanks for the help.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Gold Member

In 2005 I purchased Wilson arbor neck bushing die and seater for the 280 Improved 40 degree and just prior to take delivery of a 28 June of 2006 I purchased a Redding body die for the 280 Ackley Improved 40 degree. I fireformed brass rifle shot great and after Nosler came out with their brass that's what I used and new case chambered slao resized with body die never had any problem.

I know Woods from posting on Nosler site and here and it's bad deal for everyone that has those chambers. On the same turn how did wildcatters manage prior to SAAMI spec 280AI. Had Nolser not made that 280AI brass I would of used my dies on firformed cases.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Gold Member

Yeah it's a bad deal.

The answer is simple: if you have an older 280AI chamber, use 280 Remington caliber brass. If you have a new SAAMI chamber, use 280AI Nosler brass or 280 Remington caliber brass
Old 04-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM H View Post
I seen your last post and pictures. I've got some of the older 280AI in it will vary in case length and I think some of that is case is not really formed at the shoulders. You can mike the dia at the shoulders and find that will vary also.

If you think the cases are off call Nosler give them the run # or send cases back to them.`
The cases are not off, they are at saami spec. Problem is many chambers are .014 longer than saami spec. I can use the cases, no problem. All I have to do is run out to the shop and turn out an expander mandrel to neck the brass up a bit until it will not chamber, then neck it down with a sizing die until I get a crush fit.
I think you are correct that the older cases were not fully formed and think that is the reason they would work in both saamit and non saami chambers. These newer cases have sharper shoulder and seem to be fully formed and short.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Silver Member

RCBS web site shows the ack imp dies are for the 2008 SAAMI spec version. Looks like you need to go to Redding or RCBS custom shop or at least speak to them to confirm you are getting the none SAAMI version.....
I just received my Redding neck size die from Midway and it was marked on the web as 40 degrees but the box indicates it is the new saami version. Sending it back.
I am waiting on a reply from Dakota and Red Hawk Rifles to what cases they use in testing before shipping.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

The SAAMI spec is 40*.....They also offer a 30* neck, too.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharfo View Post
........it was marked on the web as 40 degrees but the box indicates it is the new saami version. Sending it back.
Both the old version and the new SAAMI version have 40 shoulders. The difference is the length of the case. You would want the short SAAMI version die. With the correct shell holder or a shim, you can use it to size either length case.