Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

280 ack imp 40 degrees vs Nosler brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

Re: 280 ack imp 40 degrees vs Nosler brass

Ok, let me throw a wrench in the works. According to Redding's website they offer a different shell holder to make up for the difference in dies from their older 40 degree marked dies to their newer Ack Imp marked dies. According to the test done on the gunsmithing network that one of the members put in this thread there is NO difference in the Nosler chamber and the old 40 degree chamber If thats the case why is Redding saying there is? I just got a neck sizer only die from Redding and its marked Ack Imp, not 40 degrees so according to them it wont work in my 40 degree chamber but my older dies will. Thanks Nosler for confusing some of us, its always good to be confused when loading ammunition!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharfo View Post
Thanks Cowboy,
I sent off a email to Dakota Arms ref my new 97 Hunter and Red Hawk Rifles who is building my son a 280 AI. Both of them advised they chamber for the 40 degrees version which is what my Redding dies are for. So it sounds like I can get away with using the Nosler brass I already have? If so thats good news. Thanks
Did you ask them if you can use Nosler brass?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Anyone know where I can find the RCBS .280 AI 40* shoulder Neck-Sizer Die Set for sale right now? Midway is sold out, and it shows they won't have any before the middle of September.... I will be needing them before then, way before then... So, if anyone can help me out, that would be great. Thanks.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Anyone know where I can find the RCBS .280 AI 40* shoulder Neck-Sizer Die Set for sale right now? Midway is sold out, and it shows they won't have any before the middle of September.... I will be needing them before then, way before then... So, if anyone can help me out, that would be great. Thanks.
Why not use a Lee Collet Neck Sizer for the 280 Remington caliber

Lee Collet 2-Die Neck Sizer Set 280 Remington 7mm Express

It's what I use (you can throw the seater away if you don't need it)

BTW here's what Lee says about the problem we are discussing

280 Ackley Improved Dies - Support Center

"The Very Limited Production PaceSetter 280 Ackley dies are for the original 280 Ackley Improved. The Lee 280 Ackley Improved full length sizing die has a .014" longer head space than the SAAMI 280 Ackley Improved specification. Cases sized in a Lee die may not fit in a rifle chambered for the SAAMI 280 Ackley Improved. The Lee 280 Ackley Improved die should not be used to size cases for riles chambered for the SAAMI 280 Ackley Improved. "
Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

I don't like bushing dies. Never really have cared for them. Yes, I know how they work, no, I don't need convincing why I should like them over regular ones. LOL

I just need some RCBS .280 AI .40* shoulder Neck-Sizer Die Set, if anyone can help me out. Used dies are fine by me, as well.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

I wonder if the die makers have seen the abovelink. After giving this some more thought I pondered. Ackleys designs generally had his improved case a few thou shorter than the parent case at the neck/shoulder junctio allowing standard ammunition to be fired in his improved chamber. If noslers chamber was actually 14 thou short then standard brass/ammo should give at least a little resistance on closing the bolt or wouldn't chamber at all. Iv used Norma 280 brass and other standard ammo which chambered just fine and Iv used Nosler AI brass which is a very good fit from new in a supposedly original ackly chamber. So far I'm inclined to believe the video and think this is a non problem
Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I don't like bushing dies. Never really have cared for them. Yes, I know how they work, no, I don't need convincing why I should like them over regular ones. LOL
Good, I don't like them either

The Lee Collet IS NOT a bushing die