Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

280 ack imp 40 degrees vs Nosler brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Gold Member

Re: 280 ack imp 40 degrees vs Nosler brass

Woods, this is the post about what your talking about

280 Ackley Improved Alert | GunsmithTalk

This is new post from gunsmithtalk

280 Ackley Improved Emperical Headspace Test | GunsmithTalk
Old 04-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Tom,

I'm not sure if you are the one who originally sent me link #2, but it was eye-opening and makes sense. Fire forming is a PITA, and I'd like to avoid it in the future (was hesitant due to headspace/SAAMI spec concerns). I'd like to run an experiment and post my results, but I'll need a LRH friend to help out:

I have a Cooper M52 in 280AI that Cooper swears was chambered to the "original"P.O. Ackley dimensions. I fireformed a bunch of Norma brass and that is what I am using to load. If someone is willing to send me one or two pieces of virgin Nosler 280AI brass, I will measure them side by side with my fireformed brass and post the results here. I will, of course, send your brass back (unfired, for all of you who are scam sensitive). If you are interested shoot me a PM and we'll make arrangements.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
Tom,

I'm not sure if you are the one who originally sent me link #2, but it was eye-opening and makes sense. Fire forming is a PITA, and I'd like to avoid it in the future (was hesitant due to headspace/SAAMI spec concerns). I'd like to run an experiment and post my results, but I'll need a LRH friend to help out:

I have a Cooper M52 in 280AI that Cooper swears was chambered to the "original"P.O. Ackley dimensions. I fireformed a bunch of Norma brass and that is what I am using to load. If someone is willing to send me one or two pieces of virgin Nosler 280AI brass, I will measure them side by side with my fireformed brass and post the results here. I will, of course, send your brass back (unfired, for all of you who are scam sensitive). If you are interested shoot me a PM and we'll make arrangements.
No, it wasn't me that send you that. If you have a Nosler manual they have diagram of their 280AI.

you have PM on the Nosler brass.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:30 AM
Bronze Member

I might be able to save you the trouble as Iv been using nosler brass in a M52 cooper 280ai for a few years now and head space is fine. New brass vs fired shows no increase in length. I have some brass here that's over 12 x fired.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawn View Post
I might be able to save you the trouble as Iv been using nosler brass in a M52 cooper 280ai for a few years now and head space is fine. New brass vs fired shows no increase in length. I have some brass here that's over 12 x fired.
Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawn View Post

I agree with you on the older nosler brass. The shoulders were kinda rounded allowing it to be used in either chamber. I bought some out of what I think is the most recent lot and it is shorter than any I have measured in the past by at least .006. It is not like most factory ammo is not at least that roomy, but I have not yet so I am not going to recommend anyone use it until I do.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybo View Post
I have used it in a half dozen or more 280s with the old chamber and a few with the saami spec chamber. Never had a problem until recently. I bought some new brass recently and it is shorter than the older lots I have had by at least .006.
I seen your last post and pictures. I've got some of the older 280AI in it will vary in case length and I think some of that is case is not really formed at the shoulders. You can mike the dia at the shoulders and find that will vary also.

If you think the cases are off call Nosler give them the run # or send cases back to them.`