Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

270 WSM Bullet for muley/elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

270 WSM Bullet for muley/elk?

Has anyone had any experience with this round for long range? If so what bullets are you using? I already use the big 338 but bought a model 70 270 wsm and want to work up a load. This will be a light weight, mid to long range mule deer/elk gun.

I would normally would use Nosler Accubonds but since the Nosler plant blew up last week I want to use a new bullet. I see Nosler bullet shortages in the near future.

Berger, Siera??Any suggestions. Thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 270 WSM Bullet for muley/elk?

I loaded the 140 Berger and 140 Accubond and after last year I'm just loading the Berger. I didn't make any hits past 400yrds but I was very impressed with the Berger for it's killing capacity and the lack of blood shot. The Accubond killed them but I recovered a bullet that was barely opened and I had a lot of blood shot to deal with.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

Did you shoot deer or elk?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

I've shot both elk and mule deer with both bullets, the Berger functioned just like the Berger advertisements. They just get into the chest then blow a hole in the center of them, I all ways found the jacket under the far side so no blood shot coming in and none going out. The Accubomb makes a heck of a lot of blood shot and that is the only reason I'm not loading it this year.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I've shot both elk and mule deer with both bullets, the Berger functioned just like the Berger advertisements. They just get into the chest then blow a hole in the center of them, I all ways found the jacket under the far side so no blood shot coming in and none going out. The Accubomb makes a heck of a lot of blood shot and that is the only reason I'm not loading it this year.
Bigngreen has me beat for experience with it, and I also belive he gives great advise, but Id still go 140gr Accubond from 0 to 600 yds and then a heavier more fragile bullet with a higher B.C. for longer ranges. 600ish yds for elk with that cartrige is my personal limmit. At 600 the bullet speed and energy is what some folks consider about the limmit for reliable expansion, and sufficient energy on big tough game with a bonded bullet. Remember this is only an opinion Im not passing judgement on anyone who chooses to stretch this range.
I think a more fragile 150gr+ bullet Hornady SST(.525 B.C.) or Berger for example with a higher B.C. would bennefit the shooter at longer distance for bucking wind and more reliable expansion at lower velocity.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

Well like I said I probably would go with the accubond but the Nosler plant blew up and they will have to rebuild before they start making bullets again. I will look into the Berger and the Hornady SST.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

I think the SST would be a great long range bullet also, I shot the heck out of them trying to get them to group but I could not get them under 1.5 MOA.

The reason I've never gone to the 150gr bullets is I have a 1-11 twist but more than that running the ballistics I would have to drive the 150gr within 50FPS of the 140 to equal it. The 140 seems to be the best spot for speed vs BC until you step up to the 169.5 Wildcat then you step into a whole new class.

At the elevation I elk hunt I hit a 1000yrds at 1929fps with 1155 ft-lbs of energy, well within what I want for deer. At 800yrds I have 2174fps with 1470ft-lbs of energy, which is well within what I want for elk.
It depends a lot on where I hunt due to how fast I can go from 5000ft elevation to 8000ft elevation.