Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

270 wsm - bolt thrust issues?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 PM

270 wsm - bolt thrust issues?

I'm looking to get a model 70. Like the attributes of the 270 wsm but have had some bad experiences with the wssm's regarding high bolt thrust at moderate loads. Also the brass was very thick and very hard. Any such issues with the wsm cartridges?

Also, is the magazine long enough to always reach the lands if so desired?

Thanks much,

Mark
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: 270 wsm - bolt thrust issues?

Mark,

I own two Model 70 Short mags., a 300 WSM, and a 270 WSM.I have not had a problem with bolt thrust on either gun, even though I am aware that because the short mag brass has a smaller surface area that comes in contact with the chamber there is a potential problem. This sometimes has shown up when you fail to clean and dry the chamber after you have cleaned the barrel. I have shot many rounds in both guns without this ever being a problem.

Both of my Model 70's were built just over ten years ago, so I can not speak for the current Model 70's but both of my gun have a mag that is long enough so the bullet can reach the lands and still fit the mag.

Are you looking to buy a current gun or a used one made some years ago?

I have used Norma brass most of the time, however I have used Remington, Win, and Federal. The brass is not a problem for either gun.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:12 PM

SMM,
New one. I have always wanted a super grade and can now make a weak but reasonable justification. Really like the idea of a 264 but can't get that in super grade.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

I have a two year old Model 70 coyote lite, 270 WSM. I have had no problems with bolt thrust to date, and I run most of my loads right up there.

I have no problem loading berger 140 VLD Hunting right up to the lands, plenty of room in the mag.