Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

270 WSM or 7mm rem mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2005, 10:15 PM

270 WSM or 7mm rem mag

I am purchasing a new rifle for big game. I probably hunt 80% whitetail in a mix of woods and open. I also do some elk hunting mostly in wooded areas. Anyone own/shoot both of these calibers and if so, which would you keep if you could only keep one for this type of hunting??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2005, 06:41 AM

Re: 270 WSM or 7mm rem mag

I assume you will be traveling west for the Elk Hunting...

you sorta have 2 very different rifles here and the 7mm mag. will be a much better all around rifle....

you can get some of the heavier bullets for the 7mm but there is a limited choice for bullets heavy enough for Elk in the 270... this caliber is marginal at best for Elk reguardless of what the western states regulations are...

Do you plan on reloading?

I know the whitetail in MN tend to grow pretty big... You may want to give some thought to a 30 Cal.

I have never really been impressed with the 7mm Mag... I have seen to many marginal results with it... but that is just my opinion and a different topic alltogether...
Old 02-20-2005, 07:34 AM

Yes, the elk hunting takes place in western wash state.

You said that I have 2 very different rifles, however this was my thinking. Bore size similar.....277 vs .284. Similar ballistics w/equivalent bullets? Recoil similar? It was just my thinking, but I guess I spend more time hunting than I do analyzing all of this stuff. I would respect your thoughts. As far as needing something bigger for MN whitetail, I have used .270 for 20 years with no problems. The recoil is mild enough that I am pretty accurate with it. My only reason for moving to the WSM or 7 rem would be to have the flexibility for the bigger game....maybe I'm out to lunch here?
Old 02-20-2005, 07:59 AM

your train of thougth isn't all that bad.. but look at bullets weights... the 270 bullets are relativly "light"

you have a much better bullet selection in the 7mm ...

my experiences.. limited as they are with the 7mm Rem Mag.. sometimes too much speed is a bad thing with partition bullets or similarly constructed bullets....

Yes the 7mm Rem Mag.. will kill Elk... but I prefer to see the 30 cal. or 338 cal. for the 800 lb. Elk...

think of this... I realize youe experience is with the lighter recoiling 270... there is a 30 cal option here....

300WSM ;-) load it light 150-165 gr for your whitetail and then you have the option of 180 gr or heavier for the Elk...

recoil is very managable with the right rifle configuration...

However, of the 2 rifles you have listed... the 7mmREm Mag would be a prefeable option given the Elk part of the equation... the 270 in my opinion is just a bit too marginal .....
Old 02-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Gold Member

Ric has a very valid point. If I was to get one gun does all for your needs, the 300 WSM would do the job. Why 7mm Rem Mag over the new 7mm WSM? You really are comparing apples and oranges. The Roosevelt elk of Western WA tend to have smaller racks & bigger bodies than the usual Rocky Mountain elk. Your shots may be shorter distance, but it is hard to make up for bullet weight. The 300 WSM will have more recoil than you presently have, but put on a Vais muzzle brake and recoil will be like a 308. Not much different than your present 270. Good luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2005, 05:15 PM

Thanks, Ric for the info.....I definitely understand that a heavier bullet will aid in killing power (along with a number of other variables). However, I'm just thinking that buying the 300wsm would be massive overkill for the deer. Keep in mind that this is coming from a bowhunter, so I have always been of the mind that accuracy is paramount, and power has been more or less a constant. Popularity/availability of the 7mm rem mag also seems to be greater, although that may be changing. Maybe I was being optimistic in thinking that I could load up the 7 mag with a 175-180 grain bullet and take down an elk. However, I still believe that I would be more accurate with more manageable recoil, therefore a better choice would still be between the 7 mm rem mag and something more manageable. Maybe a 308 or 7mm-08 would make sense? Maybe I'm just thinking too much ( or maybe not at all)! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2005, 07:22 PM

You are OK in your thinking... but I bet if I ren numbers you would see the 300WSM and the 7mm could be loaded to be nearly equal with some bullets... the 7 mag may get flatter trajectories and faster velocities... hell it may be more powerful.. not sure without running numbers...
I do know that you will not be "overkill" for the big deer in MN if you load 150's or 165's in the 300WSM... matter of fact you'd be right where you need to be...
then for your WA Elk the 180 Accubonds or even the 200 accubonds would do the job quite nicely...

the 308 would kill and Elk and matter of fact the 30-30 has killed more Elk than any other caliber on record .. however, I would not reccomend anything lighter than somthing along the lines of an 30-06...

I would seriously consider the 300WSM especially if you can reload.... my gunsmith doesn't kow it yet but I think I may just have another one built for an upcoming Antelope/Muledeer hunt in Oct. !!!!