Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

270 Win and 165/175 Matrix Range Report

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Laramie, WY
Posts: 481
Re: 270 Win and 165/175 Matrix Range Report

Finally some velocity numbers for the 175's for you guys. By shooting at 300 and 400 yards and then working back I was able to calculate that the 175's over 58 gr of H1000 are leaving at about 2710 FPS, based on the average drop from 3 shot groups using a BC of .680. These maintained sub-MOA at 400 yards. I have not hit any pressure signs with these yet, so I may work them up more when I get another batch of bullets.

The 165's jumped up to 2 MOA at 400 yards, so the average drop was not a very precise way to calculate speed in my opinion. I was disappointed in these, and am out of them, so I'll concentrate on the 175's for now.

Here is the target:

__________________
"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." - Jesus Christ



Last edited by cowboyarcher; 08-13-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-16-2013, 06:49 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20
Re: 270 Win and 165/175 Matrix Range Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
Finally some velocity numbers for the 175's for you guys. By shooting at 300 and 400 yards and then working back I was able to calculate that the 175's over 58 gr of H1000 are leaving at about 2710 FPS, based on the average drop from 3 shot groups using a BC of .680. These maintained sub-MOA at 400 yards. I have not hit any pressure signs with these yet, so I may work them up more when I get another batch of bullets.

The 165's jumped up to 2 MOA at 400 yards, so the average drop was not a very precise way to calculate speed in my opinion. I was disappointed in these, and am out of them, so I'll concentrate on the 175's for now.

Here is the target:


Please keep testing. I'll be glued to this thread.

-Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Laramie, WY
Posts: 481
Re: 270 Win and 165/175 Matrix Range Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Reader View Post
Please keep testing. I'll be glued to this thread.

-Thanks!
Please send a chrono lol!

But seriously, I think I will use these this year on elk if I don't fill by tag during archery season. I might try and thump a goat with them too if my other project is not completed in time for that.
__________________
"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." - Jesus Christ


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20
Re: 270 Win and 165/175 Matrix Range Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
Please send a chrono lol!

But seriously, I think I will use these this year on elk if I don't fill by tag during archery season. I might try and thump a goat with them too if my other project is not completed in time for that.

1984nitro or nitro1984 was using the 165 matrix and RL-17 and getting 2889 fps using little powder. He was getting groups right at 1 inch.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Laramie, WY
Posts: 481
Re: 270 Win and 165/175 Matrix Range Report

3 shots over a loaner chrono tonight averaged 2840 FPS. That's the 175 over 58 gr H1000 in a 24" McGowen tube.
__________________
"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." - Jesus Christ


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20
Re: 270 Win and 165/175 Matrix Range Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
3 shots over a loaner chrono tonight averaged 2840 FPS. That's the 175 over 58 gr H1000 in a 24" McGowen tube.

What's the twist rate and number of grooves?
Any pressure signs?

Thanks for posting!

Last edited by Long Time Reader; 09-19-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-19-2013, 12:38 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20
Re: 270 Win and 165/175 Matrix Range Report

That's some good velocity. I hope Berger is working on a 180 gr in addition to their 170 gr that's long overdue.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?
0 to 200 yards - 25.99%
1,546 Vote
201 to 400 yards - 32.14%
1,912 Vote
401 to 600 yards - 23.03%
1,370 Vote
601 to 800 yards - 10.04%
597 Votes
801 to 1,000 yards - 3.92%
233 Votes
Over 1,000 yards - 4.89%
291 Votes
Total Votes: 5,949
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC