Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

270 Sherman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 270 Sherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I have 3 ideas drawn up for wildcats....But have not had the funds to get into having the reamers built, and custom dies, and all that hoop-la....

What does it cost realistically as for the custom reamers & dies, etc...?
I can get a custom reamer and go gauge from PTG for around $150 and John Whidden will make custom micrometer die sets for $259 with a 6 week turn around. Standard wildcats that he stocks are considerably less.....Rich
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

I picked up some 7828ssc the other day, I will probably try that as well as Retumbo, Magpro, and H1000. I also might try some Hybrid 100.

Rifle in its new Boyds stock and a 270 Sherman with a 165 Matrix.

Closer shot of the 270 Sherman and 165 Matrix:

Last edited by CogburnR; 02-26-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
Micrometer dies would be like the Redding dies that have a micrometer setting on top. The are easier to reset if you change them but they cost considerably more.

If you just want a neck sizer use a Hornady generic neck sizer. They are about 20-25.00.

You need a finish reamer to chamber the barrel. That is all you need really. For a person doing a bunch of the same chambers sometimes they will buy a roughing reamer to take a bunch of the load off of the finish reamer. If you want to make your own dies then you'd need a resizing reamer. Those are the 3 basic reamers made. The finish reamer is the largest, then the resizing reamer, and then the roughing reamer.
I feel like an idiot now. I knew that! LOL

So basically, if I have a barrel blank, will I need a rough reamer or a finishing reamer? I know if you are just simply re-chambering you will need a finish reamer. But if you're starting from scratch will you need a rough reamer?

Also, what is a generic neck-sizing die? I haven't seen one of those yet, either...

I guess I should just go ahead and have a set of neck-sizer dies custom made nad a seater die custom made.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I feel like an idiot now. I knew that! LOL

So basically, if I have a barrel blank, will I need a rough reamer or a finishing reamer? I know if you are just simply re-chambering you will need a finish reamer. But if you're starting from scratch will you need a rough reamer?

Also, what is a generic neck-sizing die? I haven't seen one of those yet, either...

I guess I should just go ahead and have a set of neck-sizer dies custom made nad a seater die custom made.
All you need is a finishing reamer and go gauge. Hornady makes a "universal" neck sizer that works for many applications and only costs around $25.......Rich
Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CogburnR View Post
I picked up some 7827ssc the other day, I will probably try that as well as Retumbo, Magpro, and H1000. I also might try some Hybrid 100.

VERY nice Bruce! RL22 and RL25 should also do very well......Rich
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CogburnR View Post
I picked up some 7827ssc the other day, I will probably try that as well as Retumbo, Magpro, and H1000. I also might try some Hybrid 100.

Looks sweet!! i really really like the look of the boyds thumbhole stocks.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

A little better pic of the rifle. It is a little difficult to get a decent shot of a gun!

I think this gun may have come from Havre, I'm sure it was from MT. somewhere originally. It shot pretty well as a 270 Win. There is hardly any wear on it!!