Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

270 Sherman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

270 Sherman

I decided to hop into wildcats.

I was following the thread "MAGNUM PUNCH in an '06" by ELKAHOLIC and decided to try a Sherman Improved 270.

MAGNUM PUNCH in an '06

Rich sent me the reamer a couple weeks ago and I received my M700DBM back from my local smith who reamed it out to 270 Sherman Improved. This is the first rifle in this caliber.

The 270 Sherman Improved is based on the 6.5 Sherman Improved which is based on a 270 Winchester with the shoulder improved and moved forward for a gain in powder capacity of around 11%.

Here is a picture of the forming process:
First case being the parent 270 Winchester,

Then the case necked up to .308 and then necked back down to 270 to fit the Sherman chamber with a false shoulder,

and lastly the fireformed 270 Sherman case.

Here are 20 ready to load:

Now finding time to get to the range and do some load testing!!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 270 Sherman

I have 3 ideas drawn up for wildcats....But have not had the funds to get into having the reamers built, and custom dies, and all that hoop-la....

What does it cost realistically as for the custom reamers & dies, etc...?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Gold Member

Dies usually run 150-200 (unless you want micrometer dies then upwards of 300-350), reamers run 150-200, and head space gauges run about 30.00 each.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Please explain the difference in dies, and micrometer dies?

Also, I just want neck-sizer dies, not full-length sizers. Are those any cheaper?

Also, will I need a chamber reamer, and a finishing reamer? What are the differences in the 2?

Thanks for the info.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Gold Member

Micrometer dies would be like the Redding dies that have a micrometer setting on top. The are easier to reset if you change them but they cost considerably more.

If you just want a neck sizer use a Hornady generic neck sizer. They are about 20-25.00.

You need a finish reamer to chamber the barrel. That is all you need really. For a person doing a bunch of the same chambers sometimes they will buy a roughing reamer to take a bunch of the load off of the finish reamer. If you want to make your own dies then you'd need a resizing reamer. Those are the 3 basic reamers made. The finish reamer is the largest, then the resizing reamer, and then the roughing reamer.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CogburnR View Post
I decided to hop into wildcats.

I was following the thread "MAGNUM PUNCH in an '06" by ELKAHOLIC and decided to try a Sherman Improved 270.

MAGNUM PUNCH in an '06

Rich sent me the reamer a couple weeks ago and I received my M700DBM back from my local smith who reamed it out to 270 Sherman Improved. This is the first rifle in this caliber.

The 270 Sherman Improved is based on the 6.5 Sherman Improved which is based on a 270 Winchester with the shoulder improved and moved forward for a gain in powder capacity of around 11%.

Here is a picture of the forming process:
First case being the parent 270 Winchester,

Then the case necked up to .308 and then necked back down to 270 to fit the Sherman chamber with a false shoulder,

and lastly the fireformed 270 Sherman case.

Here are 20 ready to load:

Now finding time to get to the range and do some load testing!!
Good job Bruce! This is the first of it's kind and will put some real whallop in your .270! Here is a pic of the parent alongside a .270 Sherman with a 165 Matrix which should make 3000+ in a 26" barrel. This will give some very serious long range hunting punch with a .720 ish b.c......rich270 Sherman-dscf0488.jpg
Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

I'm itching to see how the 270 Sherman does, looks great!! What bullets are you working with?

Rich, the 165 Matrix runs .336 G7 BC or .650 G1 the .720 BC is the "other" bullet we're playing with in the 6.5.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"