Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

270 Rum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

270 Rum

I think A carry weight 270 RUM will be my next project, Any advice on barrel length and twist ?
DR B

Three rules of Life: If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

Twist and bbl length depend on what you want to do with it.

Very fast twist for very long range bullets for big game. 30" bbl would maybe be a schoche bit too long for that cartridge. Be careful with powder bridging. The RUM shoulder may reduce the probability of powder bridging but I'd start out w/ball powders just to be save.

I think that a better choice, if you wish to stick w/the standard RUM case, it the 7mm RUM. No bridging problems. Good selection of heavier bullets, including WC 200s. Twist would be something like 1-7 as w/the 270.

Just a thought......
Old 03-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Silver Member

270 Am

What is the dffrence in the 270 AM and the 270 RUM?
DR B

Three rules of Life: If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

The AM is improved.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

270 Am

Kirby
How much additional capacity and velocity do yo get with the AM. What barrel length do you recomend.

DR B

Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

270 AM

150 gr Ballistic tips or Accubonds > 3500 FPS. (I stopped at 3500)
169.5 gr Wildcat RBBT bullet (.7+ BC) 3200 FPS (Again I stopped at 3200)
195 gr Wildcat RBBT - BC out of sight high - >3000 FPS

I had powder bridging problems with stick powders w/the 150s. I wouldn't even attempt a stick powder w/the heavier bullets.

I use US-869 exclusively. 101 gr for the 150s. 95.6gr for the 169 and 93 for the 195s. If considering a 270 AM check w/Kirby regarding interior barrel design.

If I were doing the 270 again I'd go with the 277 AM. Its based on the 338 Lapua case. Much, much better brass. Nosler is not nearly as good as Remington in my experience in the 270 AM cartridge.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
270 AM

I had powder bridging problems......
What is "powder bridging"?

I have reloaded for years, but I have only loaded for regular everyday cartiages. I'm not really into the teckno stuff so I don't read much more than what powder and how much is max....