Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

A .270 possible for a 1k target gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 01:41 AM

Re: A .270 possible for a 1k target gun?

Gotcha ok 2 things one you want a g7 bullet past 700 yards that also can be identified as a VLD ( Very low drag) that means the back of the bullet is tapered, it is a boat tail on steroids. The only 4 I know of worth a damn in a .277 thru a .308 are berger VLD's, serria matchkings, and hornaday A-max's and match. IMHO no nosler's can compete because they don't have any good g7 bullets that preform anywhere close to what a berger does at 1000 yards. Give me a 270 .486 in a g7 VLD And a .550 in a g1 (flat back) or g2 barley tapered and if I plan on doing any shooting past 600 yards ill take the lesser b.c with the VLD g7 all dayy.

Ok the title of this forum is is it possible to use a 270 as a 1k gun.. Possible yes, ideal, no. To shoot a 150 gr bullet you must have at least a 1 in 9 twist barrel you might have someone building it for you, but with the way the market is right now I would check on its availability, Almost all reloading ammo and powders are on back order where I am at least and I know up north it's worse.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

To the original Poster.

After reading all of the post, I would agree with almost all of them if I were going to build a rifle
for competition.

But Your question was "Could You Use A 270" and the answer is definitely yes.

High BC bullets are definitely an Improvement over what we had 20 years ago But before all of
these great bc bullets, records were set at 1000 and 2000 yards with conventional bullets that are
still hard to improve on.

The difference is the shooters had to read wind,mirage,Temperature and practice more to be
proficient. The better bullets have made it easer (It,s stil not easy) on the shooter and the conditions
have less effect on the newer bullets.

There was a time that a bullet with a G1 BC that had a .600+ BC was a great bullet and was used in
all competitions.

So with all that said , a modern bullet for the 270 is as good or better than the best match grade
bullets that were used to set all of the records that are still hard to beat. Even then the new records
are only a couple of inches better than the "Old" records set with the "Old" bullets.

Shooter proficiency is still the most important thing for long range shooting IMO.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREBS View Post
Ok the title of this forum is is it possible to use a 270 as a 1k gun.. Possible yes, ideal, no. To shoot a 150 gr bullet you must have at least a 1 in 9 twist barrel you might have someone building it for you, but with the way the market is right now I would check on its availability, Almost all reloading ammo and powders are on back order where I am at least and I know up north it's worse.
To shoot a 150gr bullet from a 270 Win you need only the standard 1-10 twist, no need for something special, a 1-11 twist will even do fine with a 150gr at most times.

Shot this a little this morning with my 270 WSM and 165 Matrix, 1450 yards 13mph wind from 9 o'clock the wind flow half way to target is compressed over a saddle making for a 19 mph wind average. Target stand would not stand in the wind so we just whacked rocks but you cans see the results. Took me two shots to dial in the wind, one 2 moa down wind and one 8in down wind just of rock next three stacked in a 4in circle and the sixth went just left side of rock. The other two hits on the right side of rock are from a new 6.5 bullet were shooting, it's the only bullet I've seen in the 6.5 beat my 270 165 Matrix!!!

A .270 possible for a 1k target gun?-2013-02-16_09-14-11_53.jpg

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-17-2013, 03:38 AM

Bigngreen, what kind of rifle are you shooting and what kind of velocity are you getting with the 165 you have my ear
Old 02-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREBS View Post
Bigngreen, what kind of rifle are you shooting and what kind of velocity are you getting with the 165 you have my ear
The rifle is a Savage model 12 that has been trued, barrel is an Lawton MTU 1-10 twist with a mini Muscle brake. Custom 270 WSM reamer for the 165 Matrix, set up shouldered without a barrel nut. Stress free bedded into a B&C Varmint stock. With the Norma brass I'm shooting the 165 Matrix at 3060fps and I'm a couple grains away from the top end. I use a G7 BC of .336.

The 270 Win's we load the same bullet around 2800 fps.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member

While fire-forming for my .270 AI (My budget .270 AI ...), I'm pushing the ...

165gr Matrix VLD @ 2981 FPS

and

175gr Matrix VLD @ 2919 FPS

Showing lots of potential thus far.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.