Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

A .270 possible for a 1k target gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: A .270 possible for a 1k target gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Matrix Ballistics make two 270 VLD's at the current time and one more in the works, 165 and 175 gr with BC's running .650 and .670 G1, availability is excellent!!! Berger has one in the pipe line ready to go at 170gr with a G1 of .703.

We shoot the 165 Matrix from a 270 win at 2835fps and it bug holes, I shoot them from a 270 WSM at 3060 fps and I do well out past a mile shooting them. We also shoot the 140 Berger at 3140 fps from a 6.5 and the 270 holds it own fine and in the 270 WSM the 165 makes the 6.5 look just a little sad!!
From a 7mm you have to stop on the 168 Berger to try to match the 165 from a 270 and it really takes the 180 Berger to compete.
Are you getting the 165's to shoot from a 1:10 270 Win? Just want to clarify, I have one and have really been thinking of picking some Matrixs up and giving them a try. . .

Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
Are you getting the 165's to shoot from a 1:10 270 Win? Just want to clarify, I have one and have really been thinking of picking some Matrixs up and giving them a try. . .
We have all 1-10 twist on our 270's, my elevation lets me get away with even shooting the 175's. I know some guys are doing fine with the 165 at sea level, I would sure give them a try, there flat awesome on elk from a 270 win!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

How does elevation effect things? I'm at 7200'. . . I would love to be able to use a 165 or 175!

Have you some experience with them hitting elk? I'm always nervous using a bullet designed for target on game. . .

Old 02-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

There a lot of high BC bullets that can bang metal targets, that does not mean they are competetive at a match though compared to other calibers.

Bottom line is there is not one 270 on any competition line other than maybe a local fun match and no medium or top competititor is shooting matrix bullets at 600 or 1000 in real competition matches. Great BC and can bang metal, but not competitive. As for bugholes, had a 45-70 ruger #1 that would do the same, but sure not competitive past 100.

If you are not trying to be competitive, pick any caliber and any bullet, will not matter.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Bronze Member

Excuse me but Scott Webber set a world record at Williamsport last Aug with Matrix bullets,
.277s Matrix or Berger are more than "competitive" but people being sheeple need one to win then everyone jumps on the wagon.
If a high BC bullet will shoot .4 moa even at 300, it is internationally competitive at 1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
There a lot of high BC bullets that can bang metal targets, that does not mean they are competetive at a match though compared to other calibers.

Bottom line is there is not one 270 on any competition line other than maybe a local fun match and no medium or top competititor is shooting matrix bullets at 600 or 1000 in real competition matches. Great BC and can bang metal, but not competitive. As for bugholes, had a 45-70 ruger #1 that would do the same, but sure not competitive past 100.

If you are not trying to be competitive, pick any caliber and any bullet, will not matter.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 PM

Hmmm maybe I should clearify myself some....Im goin to find a cheap remington 700 to steal the action....if I find a SA low enough Im gonna go .308 but if all I can find is a LA then wanted to know if the .270 would work for 1k target shooting...
No matter which action I go with we (ex coworker who does LR shooting) are gonna order a Shilen semi bull barrel and other toys for it.
Reason I ask about the .270 is I will be reloading the ammo and since thats what we currently hunt with I can easily reload hunting rounds for the wifes rifle using same components which be easier to just buy in bulk.
Our current rifles are Mossberg atr 100's so no option of upgrading mine into a 1k gun.

I seen at midwayusa that some of the nosler ballistic tip 150g are .496 BC and SD .279 where a .308 168gr is .490 and SD .253

Wanting to stay .270 in LA rifle if a SA isnt available at time to get rdy for build just to make things simpler on all I have to purchase for reloading

Also the 1k target shooting will be strictly for fun and enjoy....And ya never know if on that once in a lifetime hunting trip out west when that Bull elk or muley might be on the opposite ridge

Last edited by LeonJ71; 02-15-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: add information
Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyarcher View Post
How does elevation effect things? I'm at 7200'. . . I would love to be able to use a 165 or 175!

Have you some experience with them hitting elk? I'm always nervous using a bullet designed for target on game. . .
More elevation the higher the bullet stability, punch your numbers in to the twist rate calculator on the Berger web site. I'm at 6000 ft you should not have a problem!

I've seen 20+ elk killed with the 165 Matrix from point blank to just shy of 900 yards, they'll end an elks will to live rather abruptly!! At close range I make sure to stick them behind the shoulder or high in the neck and I avoid the low shoulder but once they slow down a bit they'll blow through them, even if they open up aggressively and don't exit it messes them up so bad you poor the carnage out of them!!! They are the best elk bullet from a 270 you can shoot, I gave them to several friends and none have gone back to the bullet they were using before if that tells ya anything about them.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"