Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

270 Accubond Expansion Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: 270 Accubond Expansion Test

Roy if you keep this up some bullet company is going to hire you. Just think what kind of testing you could do if someone else was furnishing you free powder and bullets. Just don't forget us little people when you make it big.

David
Old 09-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Dave,

I kind of agree with you on the RPMs but how in squat am I gonna hit the media 100% dead center every time at a distance giving the appropriate velocity?

I have developed the process to the point were those three shots were made in 45 minutes including 2 trips to the house for reloading and a phone call.

Put the media at 1 mile and this little old man ain't gonna hit it plus the time involved is prohibitive.

When I added the moisture to a more appropriate level the penetration was straight with appropriate expansion for the velocity.

Wish I had more answers than questions.

The process however seems to be a step in the right direction.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Roy, i undersatand what you're saying. every time i test bullets at distance, it's very time consuming and not an easy thing to do. this year when i tested the Hat's at 700 and last year the 250SMK's at 1k, i had a helper. each time i have to carry all the stuff a half mile to where i shoot, and then carry it another 1k. i found that a milk jug is not quite 6" wide and it works best if you hit them fairly close to the middle. if you hit within 1" from the sides it seems to direct the bullet to the outside.

we need a switch barrel savage with some throw away barrels in different calibers chambered with small cartridges. 338 federal, 30BR, the smaller stuff would be easier. big bullets could be shot at slow enough speeds to get a very similar to actual circumstances type of results. might have to use an 8 twist barrel to get enough rpm's at slower speeds.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Great info

Now that you found the correct amount of moisture for the media do you intend to shoot the NAB's slower and slower until you no longer get expansion? You can't let those rascally Nosler engineers off the hook

Thanks for all of your testing.

Thanks,

edge.