Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

? .270

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ? .270

How is Paul's 270 bullet doing down at wildcat bullets. Haven't heard from him in awhile. He had a good high bc one that turned on a 270. I have shot a 270 wby for nearly 40 years and have three now. I killed an elk over a 1000 yards back in the 70's with it. I love them for reasonable ranges but for way out there the bullets just haven't been available. I shot an elk with the 160 nosler partition and it did a very nice job. Shot extremely accurate also. Just no BC. Great bullet for just average shots though.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

There is a hunting show on Versus Tv Goin' Country with Kristy Lee Cook - Versus she uses a 270 Browning and Winchester ammo with very good effect on deer and exotic game (of course she is sponsored by Browning and Winchester)
Old 12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

I'm thinking somebody (who knows, maybe me) needs to take a few 162gr Amax's for the 7mm and pass them through a couple of swaging dies down to .277,... After all, it's only .007".

That might be REAL interesting!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie6.5 View Post
I'm thinking somebody (who knows, maybe me) needs to take a few 162gr Amax's for the 7mm and pass them through a couple of swaging dies down to .277,... After all, it's only .007".

That might be REAL interesting!
Don't do it. Went that route a year ago with 7mm Bergers. Many conversations with Dave Corbin, exchanges of some dollars (his way IMA) plus some extra nuclear grade machine work in Los Alamos.

.001-.002 most probably ok, Odds go down from there. @ 0.007" its not practicable.

I got really close but not close enough for consistent performance.

Plus, it was very labor intensive!!!!

Here's the next step in the evolution:

Prototype 1 - 150 NBT - Prototype 2 - WC 200 RBBT
Old 12-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

I have a .270Win with a 26" 1 in 9 twist. I sure would like to see what it could do, but the options are limited as everyone has already said.
I grew up with the 270 as my everything rifle up elk. Never had a problem with terminal performance, but I never shot and over 200yrds with it.

I am waiting anxiously for some widlcat bullets to be offered.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=Long Time Long Ranger;449258]How is Paul's 270 bullet doing down at wildcat bullets. Haven't heard from him in awhile. He had a good high bc one that turned on a 270. I have shot a 270 wby for nearly 40 years and have three now. I killed an elk over a 1000 yards back in the 70's with it. I love them for reasonable ranges but for way out there the bullets just haven't been available. I shot an elk with the 160 nosler partition and it did a very nice job. Shot extremely accurate also. Just no BC. Great bullet for just average shots though.[/QUOTE

Paul was having trouble keeping the jackets on in a high speed 270 am.
He sent me a few to try in my 270 amp 1in9 twist @ 3100 fps they worked great. i along with others are waiting for the 169's to ship i think last i talked to Paul via email he said he was still catching up on .284's but like has been stated it's the only one out there above 150 with any bc the partition goes to 160 but it's not a lr bullet.So i will paitently wait untill Paul is ready.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Will a bullet manufacturer jump on it? Probably not in the near future. It just doesn't pencil out business wise.

Here's what I'm betting. Some nondescript, never heard of fella, with drive, commitment, stupidity and little respect for a dollar will come up with something that some, such as the posters on this thread, will develop into small blip on the charts and get some attention.
I just learned of a bullet maker in Canada (Custom Rifle Bullets Built for Accuracy | Matrix Ballistics) who's just starting to make 165 (or 168) and 175 grain .277 bonded hunting bullets of the RBT HP design on J4 jackets.

The heavies aren't on his website yet and I don't know when they well be. They're discussing it on a Canadian forum here:
CanadianGunNutz.com

and here:

CanadianGunNutz.com

You'll need to register for the site to read those posts.

Looks like some of you may get your wish

Merry Christmas

-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting