Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

265 gr. Lapua/Edge data TSX needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 265 gr. Lapua/Edge data TSX needed

Sounds Great X-Man...

I generally make it to the range at least once a week so that would be great. Iíll be getting started on some workups this Sunday so Iíll let you know how that goesÖ
Iím running them in a Barrett 98B but we should be able to find a close load range; I have three 7mm rem mags, one sendero sf 2 bedded in a AI stock and two bdlís and they are only three tenths of a grain apart in sweet spots using Barnes 150 grain TTSX with 74.3, 74.4 and 74.6 grains of ramshot magnum.
As far as BC Iíll just run with 575 and see how she flyís at 1,000yds once I can find the best load.
For these Iíll be starting with MagPro probably around 87 grains to see where Iím at with velocity and working up to around 92 grains as long as things are still looking good. Hoping to find a sweet spot at least around 2850fps or better so weíll see.
Anyway thanks for responding and good shooting friend.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Bronze Member

oops posted twice

Last edited by XMC; 06-09-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:59 AM
Silver Member

I ran them up to 2850 fps with 94 gr. Retumbo. Ran out of powder space so I have some other powders to try. That's the standard Lapua, not improved.

Festus
Old 06-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Bronze Member

Well the weather was not on my side this past weekend but I did run out to the range and waited for a break between rain showers and ran three of these 265 grain TTSX through the chrono just to get a velocity reference point as I had mentioned I want to get up in that 2850 range.
I was using Lapua Brass, WLRM primers, 88.5 grains of MagPro which is what I am using with my 250 SMK; Completely different bullet so I wasn’t expecting any grouping to even be close; all I wanted was the velocity starting point. Shot 1 hit .5” left of center aim point, shot 2 had me thrown as it appeared I had missed the target which made me scratch my head a bit, shot three I saw the hole get just a hair taller and upon going down to inspect all three shots were there… 2650 was my velocity and gave me the reference I was looking for so I’ll be pushing up from here but I was shocked to see the group on this first test. Hope I can find a sweet spot like this one at the higher end... Test group was at a 100yds, Rifle is a 338 Lapua 98B with a 27 in barrel 1 in 10 twist. Nothing spectacular again but just surprised me as I’ve never had a starting load run that tight.
I’ll hopefully get some better weather soon to update new test results once I can reach my high end sweet spot for accuracy and stretch out the yardage to confirm.

How was your grouping at 2850? Any sign of pressure on the case?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

I was remiss in not mentioning I was using Hornady brass. I bought 40 cases from 3rd Gen S.S. (sponser here). I was not optimistic really as the Lapua brass has proven to be superb. This Hornady brass is pretty good stuff, I was surprised. I've got a set of 20 cases with ten firings and they are still going strong. They weigh a bit less than the Lapua so loads may have to be reduced a little for Lapua brass. Also, you will run out of powder space sooner with the Lapua brass.

Like I said, I ran out of space at 94 gr. Retumbo so am trying some faster powders next. I got no signs of excess pressure with the 94 gr. Retumbo load and 2855 fps. Accuracy at that velocity was not very good, about 1.6" @ 100 yds., but this was apparently between nodes as I had some lighter charges producing just under .5". Next I will be trying RL-22 and Ramshot Magnum.

I would not be surprised if 2850 fps is about tops for my rifle though. It is a factory Sako TRG-S (M-995) with factory Sako tube, which I believe is only 24.5". The online specs say 26" but I think it is less. Guess I'll have to measure it. The specs also say 1:12" twist and that is incorrect. Mine is a 1:10" twist, thankfully.

Festus
Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the infoÖ I have 40 cases of Hornady brass from the first ammo I bought off the shelf when I bought my rifle; didnít have my new dies yet and couldnít wait you know..lolÖ Theyíve been cleaned and prepped but I havenít reloaded them yet since I bought 100 cases of Lapua brass to work with and find my best tack driver options and donít like to mix brass for long range work during load testing. Iíll play with these later down the road. I kind of thought 2850 to 2900 is where I would run out with 265 gn ttsx so hearing your results confirms that also for me; Iíve never had a rifle that would group well at max but Iíve always had a habit of seeing just how far I could push pressure safely till I started seeing signs and working backwards from there for nodes. I know thatís probably not the right way to do it but Iíve always been impatient to find that maximum sweet spot. I always try keep going as I usually find at least two or three nodes that group tight then I run those out to 300 , 600 and 1000 yards to see which one performs best overall. I do have about 12 lbs of ramshot magnum so Iíll be after that one next this summer, I use ramshot magnum in my 7mm rem mags and love the performance. I decided on MagPro for the .338 Lapua as my starter powder as I had talked to a friend that shoots competition all over the US and he gave me the load recipe of 88.5 for 250 grain SMKís and they work just as he told me they would but I as always want to see how fast I can push these TTSX for hunting and keep the tack driving groupsÖ
Once I land on some good results Iíll post them on here to shareÖ
Thanks again for the info on your Retumbo results and Hornady Brass; Iíll put them to useÖ
Old 07-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Bronze Member

Well I was out playín today out at the rangeÖ had quite a mix of several rifles and handguns out having fun for the 4th (my kind of firecrackers ya know)Ö
Anyway as for the .338 Barnes 265 TTSX I had loaded up a few sets of five in half grain increments using ramshot magnum and gm215 primers.
Started with 93.5 grains which gave me an avg vel. of 2766, ES was 17 in the sting, at 200 this grouped a three hole connected triangle with the fourth and fifth round within. (This includes fowlers as I let the barrel cool completely and clean between groups)
Running up my groups started to open and at 95 grains I had a couple pretty sticky bolt arguments. 95 grains gave me an avg vel. of 2864 with ES of 27 which was the velocity range I was looking for but with groups opening and a sticky bolt Iíll be headed back down the pole.
Next out I think Iíll run 93 to 94 in 10th grain increments and see from there as I think this will be it for ramshot mag in mine.
Couldnít get much better trying higher velocityís with magpro: mine shot its best at 88.5grains at around 2650 opening groups up as I went higher.
So far Ramsot Mag is in the lead for me.
Iíll post more results as I get mine narrowed downÖ how are you guys doing with your TTSX loads so farÖ