Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

264 win mag on savage target action. will it work??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Gold Member

Re: 264 win mag on savage target action. will it work??

Ill give that one a big amen. I chuckle at guys who say they would buy a 7mag over a 264 because of barrel life. Those rumors came from back when the slowest powder you could by was 4831 and most used 4350 in it. If the 264 shooting a 140 has less barrel life then a 7mag shooting a 140 id bet it isnt more then a couple boxes of shells.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2506 View Post
That OLD HANDLE of the 264 Win mag being a barrel burner just will not die. It is no more of a barrel burner than a 7mm Rem mag if you treat them the same. That old handle for the 264 came about BEFORE the 7 mag came out. Winchester advertized the 264 mag as a plains rifle and only loaded 100 to 120 gr bullets in it's ammo at first so people thought it was a p-dog rifle. Yep if you sit down and pop 100 to 200 rounds really quickly at a time it don't take long to shoot a barrel out and the same thing will happen to a 7 mag. I like my 264 Win mag better than a 7mm mag for shooting deer size game. I have had deer run off a ways most of the time with the 7mm mag no matter what bullet used but the 264 Win mag kills them in their tracks most of the time. Get you a 28" barrel for you 264 Win mag. If you only want a 24" barrel might as well go with the 6.5-284.