close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

264 Win Mag, Which Bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: 264 Win Mag, Which Bullet?

I guess I mean sensitive to seating depth. Or so Iv seen.

Unread 04-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovastafford View Post
Thats also what Im worried about. I dont want to shoot 100 rounds to find a load due to wear. I know the bergers can be tempermental also. Do you think the ballistic tips or the accubonds will be easier to load for accuracy? Thanks for all the help!
I agree. EVERY rifle I own shoots ABonds well, and over half does pretty decent with Bergers. As per the SSII I can't get them to cooperate.
Unread 04-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

The difference is the scirroco is a quality big game bullet. No matter how accurate or how high a bc a bullet has it must perform on game 100% of the time or there will be a certain percentage of losses. That is why there is such a high wounding percentage with the bergers as they try to market target bullets as hunting bullets. They have a high bc and shoot good but have a very low performance rating on large big game. Deer, antelope, caribou size stuff may be worth the risk. But on elk you had better hit that perfect shot such as a high shoulder shot or break the spine because there is a high wounding loss with that bullet. With an elk size animal you want that perfect double caliber mushroom in a quality hunting bullet that will hold together every time. Many times in a hunting situation you can't get that perfect angle or shot you want. I want a bullet that I can drive through an animal anywhere I want and kill it without having to be concerened about whether my bullet will perform on that shot or not.
Unread 04-29-2010, 12:29 AM
Gold Member

LTLR, is there any tricks to getting the scirocco's to shoot? Everyone on here seems to have trouble with them? Whats your load with your .264, powder, how far off the lands? I totally agree with your statement. I first hand have seen how far a bull can go even when hit in the right spot. I personally shot a bull three times behind the shoulder at 100 yards with nosler partitions out of a 7mm rem mag. The first two shots I honestly thought I had missed, he didnt even flinch. When I shot him a third time he finally started to trot and then he tipped over. I have seen this happen on numerous occasions. Thanks

Last edited by ovastafford; 04-29-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Unread 04-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

I am in the middle of a move and can not get to my data. 76 grains of H-870 does well with mine. Also 67 grains of 7828 and 68.5 of reloder 25 did well. I don't know how far I am off the lands without my data. Basically they will be loaded max length to feed through my sako action the gun is built on. It is a 26" hart or pac-nor barrel. I can't remember which it is or the twist without pulling out my data. My best loads all shot between 3300 and 3350 fps.

I am not on here to bash any bullets or rifle. I just want people to be aware of the problems they may experience using particular bullets in particular situations.
Unread 04-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
The difference is the scirroco is a quality big game bullet. No matter how accurate or how high a bc a bullet has it must perform on game 100% of the time or there will be a certain percentage of losses.
Very well said!
Unread 04-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Gold Member

LTLR, did you ever try retumbo?