close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

264 W.M. build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 87
264 W.M. build

This is my first rifle build I was recently on the fence between the 264 and the 26 nosler I decided to go with the 264 because of current availability of components to get It ready by hunting season just trying to get a better feel of the 264 so any tips comments or etc anyone has from working with or owning a 264 would be greatly appreciated it is currently at the smith getting chambered and fluted
Here is a list of components that I will be using
8 twist 3 groove 26" lilja sendaro contour barrel
Defiance action
Jewel trigger
Mc Millan A-3 edge stock
Huskemaw scope
Talley rings
Whidden custom dies as soon as I have a spent round to send to him
I plan on shooting the 160 gr matrix bullet
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 02-28-2014, 12:37 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Posts: 1,279
    Re: 264 W.M. build

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stephenr6565 View Post
    This is my first rifle build I was recently on the fence between the 264 and the 26 nosler I decided to go with the 264 because of current availability of components to get It ready by hunting season just trying to get a better feel of the 264 so any tips comments or etc anyone has from working with or owning a 264 would be greatly appreciated it is currently at the smith getting chambered and fluted
    Here is a list of components that I will be using
    8 twist 3 groove 26" lilja sendaro contour barrel
    Defiance action
    Jewel trigger
    Mc Millan A-3 edge stock
    Huskemaw scope
    Talley rings
    Whidden custom dies as soon as I have a spent round to send to him
    I plan on shooting the 160 gr matrix bullet
    While you wait for your rifle, I strongly recommend that you begin gathering .264 WM brass, whatever LR magnum primers you can find, order your Matrix 160's and some 140 class long range bullets like Berger VLD's or Hornady AMAX's, and start looking for Retumbo or RL-33.

    Having a nice, shiny new rifle and nothing to shoot in it is pretty close to my idea of being trapped in hell.
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 02-28-2014, 12:51 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Posts: 87
    Re: 264 W.M. build

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
    While you wait for your rifle, I strongly recommend that you begin gathering .264 WM brass, whatever LR magnum primers you can find, order your Matrix 160's and some 140 class long range bullets like Berger VLD's or Hornady AMAX's, and start looking for Retumbo or RL-33.

    Having a nice, shiny new rifle and nothing to shoot in it is pretty close to my idea of being trapped in hell.
    I have 50 remington and 50 Winchester brass I am trying to get some nosler or norma brass aswell I also have some remington magnum primers and im looking for federal match primers I have one box of Matrix 160's and trying to get some 140 bergers aswell I do not have powder yet but im looking for some
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 02-28-2014, 01:09 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Posts: 1,279
    Re: 264 W.M. build

    I would say you are in the groove, then! I look forward to reading about your results with your new rifle.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 02-28-2014, 04:05 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Posts: 1,471
    Re: 264 W.M. build

    I make all my 264 Win mag cases out of 7mm Rem mag cases. Just run the 7mm through the FL 264 mag die and you have a 264 win mag case. The 7's are usually cheaper and easier to find also.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 02-28-2014, 04:11 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Posts: 110
    Re: 264 W.M. build

    Here's mine;

    Stiller action
    Broughton #5 contour 8 twist 5c finished at 28"
    Shilen trigger
    PT&G bottom metal
    Manners T2 stock

    Shoots 140 VLD's at 3280 fps with 68.5 gr of Retumbo in WW cases and Fed 215M primers. Shoots 3/4" groups pretty consistently.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
    264 W.M. build-20131012_165402.jpg   264 W.M. build-20131012_165446.jpg  

    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 02-28-2014, 06:17 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Posts: 87
    Re: 264 W.M. build

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apexmtnman View Post
    Here's mine;

    Stiller action
    Broughton #5 contour 8 twist 5c finished at 28"
    Shilen trigger
    PT&G bottom metal
    Manners T2 stock

    Shoots 140 VLD's at 3280 fps with 68.5 gr of Retumbo in WW cases and Fed 215M primers. Shoots 3/4" groups pretty consistently.
    That looks nice I wanted to do 28" barrel but I wasn't going to wait the 4-5 months to special order one Lilja Stocks 28" blanks in a #4 & sendaro contours that finish around 26 so I got one off the shelf
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC