Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

260 barrel life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Bronze Member

260 barrel life

JUst out of curiosity, hada smith scope my barrel, Savage LRP 260 rem 1 in 8 twist
I have 1500 rounds down the tube, have been loading 44.8 grs of H 4831 SC,
with 140 grainers, my velocity has been around 2750 fps, which is close to what the book says, and I am under the max load by 1-2 grains.

Any thoughts/feedback ? should I expect more mileage from a 260 ? aside from a few flattened primers I do nt think I have been shooting any hot loads or rapid fire.

the accuracy is still very good consistently shoots 1/2-5/8 " groups

2nd question should someone expect more rounds from a custom barrel ?

thanks in advance Scott
Old 09-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 260 barrel life

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Scott View Post
JUst out of curiosity, hada smith scope my barrel, Savage LRP 260 rem 1 in 8 twist
I have 1500 rounds down the tube, have been loading 44.8 grs of H 4831 SC,
with 140 grainers, my velocity has been around 2750 fps, which is close to what the book says, and I am under the max load by 1-2 grains.

Any thoughts/feedback ? should I expect more mileage from a 260 ? aside from a few flattened primers I do nt think I have been shooting any hot loads or rapid fire.

the accuracy is still very good consistently shoots 1/2-5/8 " groups

2nd question should someone expect more rounds from a custom barrel ?

thanks in advance Scott
The first 8 or so inches of rifling is almost gone, with severe firecracking is this normal ?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Scott View Post
The first 8 or so inches of rifling is almost gone, with severe firecracking is this normal ?
Only if you are letting the rifle get way to hot.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

Just read a thread over at snipers hide about this. The poster had over 4000 rounds down the tube and it was still shooting very well. I think the thread was called "shot out 260". Others were chiming in with their round counts.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

My FAL has 10K+ rounds and it shoots great. Never a malfucntion since 1993. An FAL in Texas has fired over 14K rounds without any cleaning whatsoever and it shoots great and functions perfectly.

You just need to get a decent barrel on a decent rifle in the first place. Barrels of non-overbore magnums should be good for at least 20K rounds f treated halfway decently.

My edition of The Ultimate Sniper says it takes an average of 2000 rounds to bring a barrel up to full accuracy.

US Army tests showed that the M-16 reached maximum accuracy at 3000 rounds.

Accuracy should be held for about 10X the rounds that it took to bring the accuracy up to peak.

If this is not happening for you, then you are probably dealing with some kind of crap. Consider a diferent barrel or rifle.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the feedback, I was just curious about , how the rifling could be burned up the first several inches or so, without loading hot , loading under max loads,

but,,,,, the accuracy is still half MOA, with a good load, I just find it baffling that it continues to shoot well

do some powders tend to cause more barrel wear ?