Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

26 Nosler ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 26 Nosler ????

This new cartridge sounds very interesting. The name sucks...

Wonder which rifle manufacturer has dibs on it? Rem? Ruger? Winchester? Or will Nosler make it highly propitiatory? It sounds like it might be a better fit for a Ruger or Win action.

If the 129 ABLR's act like some of the other ABLR's at high velocity, this will be embarrassing for Nosler.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
That caught my attention too...
It never ceases to amaze me how many people I offend when I ask them to put their money where their mouth is. But I digress...

Quote:
This new cartridge sounds very interesting. The name sucks...

Wonder which rifle manufacturer has dibs on it? Rem? Ruger? Winchester? Or will Nosler make it highly propitiatory? It sounds like it might be a better fit for a Ruger or Win action.

If the 129 ABLR's act like some of the other ABLR's at high velocity, this will be embarrassing for Nosler.
It will be very interesting to see which manufacturer picks it up first. My experience would lead me to believe most will stand back & see what happens first I'm not sure how I feel about the 129grn ABLR, a 140grn variant would probably be better but, maybe i'm wrong?

I haven't heard/read anything bad about the ABLR's performance; I take it there have been a few issues?

t

Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how many people I offend when I ask them to put their money where their mouth is. But I digress...

It will be very interesting to see which manufacturer picks it up first. My experience would lead me to believe most will stand back & see what happens first I'm not sure how I feel about the 129grn ABLR, a 140grn variant would probably be better but, maybe i'm wrong?

I haven't heard/read anything bad about the ABLR's performance; I take it there have been a few issues?

t
Yeah, there were some issues. Here's one thread I could find. It seems that ABLR's open very quickly and expend most of their energy and destruction very early... not surprising as they advertise a 1300 fps expansion velocity. I think I remember a similar thread about the 308 210's but can't find it ATM.

I would only use them in low velocity cartridges.

Nosler long range accbond and my experience.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Cali View Post
never believe what you read till the end user gets his hands one. Maybe it will and maybe it's hype
gary
Old 01-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Nosler is a voting member of SAAMI, I highly doubt that they would create a new cartridge and not submit it for SAAMI certification, thus opening it up for anyone to use.

Nevertheless, I also somehow doubt that any other major ammunition maker or rifle maker will pick this up anywhere other than possibly in their custom shops (for rifle mfrs.) unless it takes off.

Having nothing but Nosler brass for a barn burner magnum kinda sucks, since the heads are so soft (norma, I'm looking at you guys).
Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfur View Post
Nosler is a voting member of SAAMI, I highly doubt that they would create a new cartridge and not submit it for SAAMI certification, thus opening it up for anyone to use.

Nevertheless, I also somehow doubt that any other major ammunition maker or rifle maker will pick this up anywhere other than possibly in their custom shops (for rifle mfrs.) unless it takes off.

Having nothing but Nosler brass for a barn burner magnum kinda sucks, since the heads are so soft (norma, I'm looking at you guys).
Yes, they did submit it to SAAMI in June. I didn't realize that opened it up to everyone... learn something new everyday.

By the descriptions, it sounds like it's going to be very similar to a necked down 300 Dakota.

If know one makes the rifle, it will surely have a short life expectancy. No doubt there will be Nosler brass for it at Nosler prices. A little too soft for me, based on what I've read. If it was a little tougher, I would pay for it.

Hmm... I wonder what Nosler is planning for availability and marketing?

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
never believe what you read till the end user gets his hands one. Maybe it will and maybe it's hype
gary
Really?