Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

The 25's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Bronze Member
Re: The 25's

I've used a .257 Ackley Imp. and a .257 Weatherby Mag for many years. The Ackley for 38 years and the Wby for 12 years. I've used the 100 gr. Nosler Partition in the Ackley and 50 grs. IMR4350 with great success. It's been an excellent game getting load and taken lots of whitetails, antelope and muleys along with prairie dogs.
The Wby is my goto antelope rifle and I've used Barnes, Nosler Partitions, Nosler AccuBonds with good results. RL 22 is my powder of choice. I've used the AccuBond for the last three years but will be trying the Barnes Tipped TSX in 100 gr. this year just to try something new. I don't think it means much which bullet you use if you hit them thru the lung/heart area. I like the better constructed bullets in case things don't go as planned and you need a bullet that holds together to get more penetration and break bones.
I prefer a bullet that puts two holes in an animal not just one. But we all have our own preferences so find the bullet that shoots well in your rifle and with proper shot placement you'll do fine.
NRA Life Member