Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

257 Weatherby?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: 257 Weatherby?

Bless you Fred, but I think the OP left this a while ago.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
Fact of life. More powder more speed. Smaller cases are more effiecent no doubt but if thats the only criteria in picking a round wed all be using 22 hornets or still using 3030s. I dont believe theres any magic in the shape of a cartridge. At least not that is measurable in performance in the field.
I disagree with this statement. I believe the shape of the case is extremely important, and that it can be proved in the field with accuracy, velocity, and barrel wear.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bushman View Post
I disagree with this statement. I believe the shape of the case is extremely important, and that it can be proved in the field with accuracy, velocity, and barrel wear.
Agreed.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Gold Member

thats why we have moderators. they make that call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
Could we move the mine vs. yours argument here 257 Weatherby vs. any other 1/4 bore
Old 08-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
Could we move the mine vs. yours argument here 257 Weatherby vs. any other 1/4 bore
Especially if we gave parameters of accuracy and standard deviations, non compressed loads, which amplify standard deviations, accuracy, safe pressure limits. Essentially everything this forum is about. I still like my hot rodded 25 06. It definitely has its place in life.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhntr71 View Post
Have been thinking about getting a 257 Weatherby. What does everyone think of this caliber? Also is the extra money worth the Mark V for the 26 inch barrel or is the Vangard 2 with the 24 inch barrel sufficient?
Deer,

If you want to maximize the performance of the 257, go with a Mark V. I've owned both and ended up cannibalizing the Vanguard to build a custom 257 Wby with a 26 in barrel. Some of the Vanny's have fast barrels from the factory and will give you 26 speeds, but you never know until after you buy it. My Vanguard unfortunately wasn't one of those.

You've picked a great cartridge. The 257 is an absolute terror in the field. I suggest shooting the heavier bullets. The heavies really make the 257 shine. I like the 115 Ballistic Tip and the 115 Berger VLD. They're 2 of the highest BC, 25 cal bullets available and allow you to really stretch the effective range. Lots of people praise the TTSX, but it has the BC of a barn door. Also, I've found the Ballistic Tip and Berger VLD to be plenty tough for thin skinned game like Whitetails and Hogs...even at Weatherby speeds. I run the 115's at 3450.

Good luck with your decision. Either way, you'll be happy.