Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

257 wby mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 257 wby mag

Triple shocks do like a long jump. I think they actually state no less than .050 to be safe pressure wise.

My favorite deer rifle is my Mark 5 Accumark in 257Wby. The free bore in a Weatherby isn't a concern. My 257 shoots a couple loads into the .2's. It likes the 75 grain VMax's at 3950 fps and the Nosler 110 Accubonds at 3450 fps.

It's not like the bullet is jumping unsupported. It is well supported and just gets a running start at the rifling. If revolvers can do it with their sloppy tolerances no reason a precision job in a rifle won't work.

Just looking but never actually measured the 300 RUM seems to be just as much freebore . Don't get sucked into someone trying to "make it better" by doing one with no free bore. A local guy had a Winchester Model 70 rebarreled in 257Wby with no free bore and it lasted about 3 shots with factory ammo before it blew up destroying everything including embedding a bit of metal in his face.

Weatherby makes for a pretty good shooter right out of the box and they respond favorably to simple accuracy mods.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 257 wby mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
Triple shocks do like a long jump. I think they actually state no less than .050 to be safe pressure wise.

My favorite deer rifle is my Mark 5 Accumark in 257Wby. The free bore in a Weatherby isn't a concern. My 257 shoots a couple loads into the .2's. It likes the 75 grain VMax's at 3950 fps and the Nosler 110 Accubonds at 3450 fps.

It's not like the bullet is jumping unsupported. It is well supported and just gets a running start at the rifling. If revolvers can do it with their sloppy tolerances no reason a precision job in a rifle won't work.

Just looking but never actually measured the 300 RUM seems to be just as much freebore . Don't get sucked into someone trying to "make it better" by doing one with no free bore. A local guy had a Winchester Model 70 rebarreled in 257Wby with no free bore and it lasted about 3 shots with factory ammo before it blew up destroying everything including embedding a bit of metal in his face.

Weatherby makes for a pretty good shooter right out of the box and they respond favorably to simple accuracy mods.
My Weatherby is also an Accumark .257 Wby Mag. Awesome deer rifle! Mine likes the 110 NAB's and 115 Bergers. Probably one of the best whitetail calibers ever invented...Right up there with a .280 Ackley Improved.

If people think they're weak, shoot a full water bottle @ 100 yards with a 110 NAB...Then you might rethink the .257 caliber's ability.

I do need to bed my recoil lug. I'm getting 3/4-1 MOA average, but it should be getting ALOT better than that. So, I'm gonna bed the recoil lug and see if I can get her down to 1/4-1/2 MOA.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.