Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

.257 stw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

.257 stw

I am looking into building a .257 STW, and wondering what kind of life expectancy I can look at getting from a single barrel, if i'm looking to shoot a 100 gr bullet at around 4000 fps? I have heard anywhere from 600 rnds to 1800 rnds, just trying to narrow it down a little more.

I heard thatKirby Allen on here could tell me a bit about them, as he has built a few of these.

Thanks!

Last edited by slickyboyboo; 04-23-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .257 stw

I have done several of these through the years. They will get about 3800 fps out of the 100 grain barnes max with a 28" barrel and any brass life. I have 300-400 rounds on my two personal rifles and they still shoot great. I have two 264 stw's and like them much better because of the good quality high BC bullets not available to the 25's. I carried the 264 on a caribou hunt when the 120 ballistic tip came out and it was sheer terror on caribou at over 3600 fps.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: .257 stw

I would fully agree with LTLR on this one. There were many claims that the 257 STW was a 4K round with a 100 gr bullet in a 28" barrel. While I am not saying this is not possible, I am saying its not possible with anything remotely close to good brass life.

In my testing, mainly with Lilja 1-10 twist barrels of 28-30" in length, the 257 STW will get you 3800-3825 fps in a 28" pipe and 3875-3900 fps in a full 30" barrel and those are full tilt loads.

I read some wild claims from a smith with the last name of Ferguson who supposedly made the first wildcat called the 257 Hot Tamale. Unfortunately, the 257 STW was already around at this time and there were no differences of any kind between the two.

He made some claims of 4100 fps with the 100 gr XLC Barnes bullet in 28" barrels. I contacted him and asked him how he was getting this performance and he said it was his chamber and throat design.

Well, I knew he was full of something but could not prove it as he said he was using special barrels to get this velocity as well.

A few years later, as luck would have it, I ran into a guy on-line that had one of these wonder guns. I asked him what velocity he was getting and he said 4100 fps with the 100 gr XLC..... I asked him what his actual velocity strings were over the chrono.. His reply was that he never had chronoed the rifle but it was dead on the money out to 300 yards so the velocity had to be on the money.............

That must have put a bug in his mind though because about a week later I got an e-mail from him, he was not overly happy with his chrono results, 3810 fps I believe it was!!! Over 300 yards or even 500 yards it was close enough at those velocities that be never could tell a difference.

I had to contact Mr. Ferguson after that, there was no reply about his snow job on his customers.

Anyway, if your expecting 4K with a 100 gr bullet, 9 times out of 10, you will be VERY unhappy unless you are using a 33-34" barrel length.

Barrel life, all depends on how you treat the barrel. If you really baby it NEVER overheating it, you will likely see 800 rounds of useful big game accuracy. If you heat the barrel up, you will see half that.

I have never seen an STW get much over 1000 rounds without some serious velocity loss and noticable accuracy drop off as well.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com