Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

.257 Frustration continues!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Gold Member

300 Winnie - I took time to read some of the past posts on this problem rifle - but admittedly not all of them. As a firearms/sniper instructor, I do a fair amount of troubleshooting on various rifles - but I'm not a gunsmith. Here's some questions and suggestions that might help, but it's hard diagnosing these things without getting my paws on the rifle:

1. Have you tried any factory ammo through the rifle? Something with a conventional bullet, not a Nosler Partition, not a Barnes TSX? If not, try some. Am not knocking your handloading, it's simply nice to have a baseline from which to work. A box of factory ammo can provide that baseline.

2. Have you tried any bullets known for their accuracy, such as the Sierra Matchking or Gameking? Very simple, forgiving bullets that respond well to a wide variety of seating depths and powder charge weights. These bullets are known to be accurate in a wide variety of rifles. I'd recommend starting with the 100 grain Gameking. Your 100 gr Barnes TSX is a great bullet and I've used it to take two mulies, but it's not necessarily the easiest bullet to work with. Being soft copper, it will also foul the barrel faster than a conventional gilding metal jacketed bullet.

3. Likewise the brass - I'll second the suggestion to try some factory built .257 Wby brass - and yes I've loaded for the .257 Wby before, including making brass from necked - down, blown out .300 H&H stuff, back in the old days. Get some factory brass, properly prep it, and load from there.

4. When you installed the new stock did you indeed use an inch-pound torque wrench? Same with the scope mounts? It's not mandatory, but we're searching for answers here and we need to eliminate variables.

5. Have you checked it with another scope? One that is proven and known to be good?

6. What's the trigger like? Is it consistent? Most Weatherby triggers are pretty good - but if there's any grit in there, or if the trigger has a harsh pull, it's very easy to produce a wide left-right shift on the target.

7. Are you letting the barrel cool between shots? Between groups? A slim sporter barrel, with magnum charge weights, really heats up quickly and will often start throwing shots.

8. Gently asked... How good/experienced a shot are you?

When my rifles aren't shooting well, it's generally my fault. I've had good days when I've been on the firing line at a match and have shot right up there with the "high master" shooters in the NRA highpower prone game. I've even won a few minor matches. I've had other days when I thought I really ought to just sell my guns and take up gardening. It's well worthwhile to have somebody who really knows their stuff take a turn behind your rifle and shoot it a bit.

Best of luck with the rifle! Regards, Guy
Old 11-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Bronze Member

1) Check out the crown.
2) Scope bases tight all around?
3) Quality scope?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:14 AM

I agree with guy m.I would also try different bullet weights and styles.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Well $#*%....

I just set into checking my mounts and rings to see if they were tight and guess what?

All the ring screws were tight...as expected.

First mount screw I tried to tighten seemed slightly loose (rear screw on front mount). The rest seemed tight. So, I decided I would take them all out and put loctite on them and reset. When I got them all out the threaded hole that I took the loose screw out of sure seemed shallow. I looked at the screw and sure enough it had sheared in half...probably when I set it originally...probably causing me all of my frustration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing that has me wondering if that is not the problem is it doesn't look like there is any wear on the blueing to signify it moving, but I'm sure it doesn't take much to move P.O.I. much.

I'm guessing I found my problem...now I have to figure out how to get the other one out. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions so far...maybe we are getting somewhere now.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

If I remember correctly, 0.001" on the end of a base = about 1 MOA. Not sure though......

Am I understanding correctly that one of the mounting screws is twisted off? With the remainder remaining in the threads? It would be best if the remaining part of the screw was in a hole that went completely through. However, it sounds like it may have bottomed out when initially installed.:(

That's a spot of bother.

I'd recommend a smith do the work. Jim Hall is in your neck of the woods. His cards are at Ski's.

It should be about a 10 minute job. but it may ultimately require redrilling to a larger size. Don't know.

Hang in there, you'll get it....
Old 11-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Roy.

This is turning into a real picnic!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Silver Member

My hunting buddy bought a new accumark in Sept it would not shoot sent it back to weatherby seems there was a problem with some barrels ...Give them a call, although changing pressure points and bedding may cause warranty problems,a phone call to Weatherby may give some satisfaction