Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

250 Scenar or 300 SMK for 338 Lapua?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: 250 Scenar or 300 SMK for 338 Lapua?

Well... Iīm back.

I never got those MK:s after all and the season is here and today was the moment of truth: that orphan calf was needed to be taken. I had been tracking him for 48 hours to see where he is going... I live where I hunt. Open fields this time, I decided to go with the factory Scenar with my Sako TRG-S 338 Lapua Mag. Just because I knew I can hit exactly where I intend with it up to 500 yds. Also because they are the only rounds I have for the rifle. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I knew the distance would be 200 to 400 yds so 45-70.. nope... 30-06 nope (been there)... 338 Lapua yes. About 280 to 300 yds, 250 Scenar, a basic sideways lung shot and nobody can tell it was not a "premium" hunting bullet. It didnīt explode but expanded, the wound was very controlled and the exit wound is about the size of an egg. So much blood in the moose when we opened him, no wonder the kill was fast and final.

The moose went 30 yds,fell down and died without a need for a finishing shot. We have four other moose hanging in our cottage right now and they were taken with 308:s at 30 to 100 yds... this one was the absolutely fastest and cleanest kill and nobody could guess which one was taken with a "target bullet". It destroyed the lungs,came out from the opposite shoulder and I canīt wait to see what happened in there but it looks very clean.

I know this may sound a little irresponsible but the calf was orphaned by an accident and had to be taken so I volunteered for the dirty job and did some real life bullet testing as well. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

For this distance,Scenar more than passed the test. Note: The big bones were hit at exit.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:06 AM
Platinum Member

Petander

Good to hear from you again and thanks for the Scenar info... I have a box of them waiting to be tested (still have a bunch of 300 SMK's to use too).

What's up with your 300 SMK's... shipping problem? I'll send you a box if you need, I know it's too late for this hunt but you'll perhaps be able to get something done later.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

Hi Dave,

Well,the SMK:s... a friend got banned from a forum where Iīve been a regular for quite a while. So bunch of us built a new forum, basically to help him out.Iīm still in the staff in the other forum where he basically made himself banned. He is a nice geezer but obviously needs to see a doc. Iīm not a doc, Iīm a gunnut hunter and simply couldnīt help him anymore,neither stand the destructive behaviour.

The new forum turned out to be just another "revenge plattform" for him, bashing people , flames, something I never thought would happen. But it did happen -again- and I simply quit and he still has those Matchkings. I did lots of graphic stuff, studied EZboard controls inside out and just got tired of that... Net for me is guns,hunting and fun. Always sad to lose a friendship but I had to ban him. As an admin you know what I mean.

Back to the business:

The Scenar shoulder exit was very good,I am still surprised. It sure would work on deer too... must see when I have the time for that. On the contrary to some reports I find Scenar not soft at all,rather the opposite. The impact velocity was 2600 fps or so,the bullet worked very good. And itīs a pleasure to shoot as well -even these factory rounds are okay for these distances. Maybe Iīm just lucky?

We cleaned the critters today. Some mince/freeze/can work to do now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The steaks must hang for a little longer though. I like them ripe.

In case you wanna get rid of some Matchkings feel free to mail me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I appreciate your offer.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

I have found the Lapua Scenars to be some, if not, the most durable match bullets. I use these bullets for metallic silhouette for this very reason. Silhouette shooters in the States did extensive testing with 6.5 mm match bullets and found the Lapua Scenars, Cauteruccio's, and Sierra Matchings to be among the most durable.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

Petander

Thanks for the info... too bad about some folks personalities.

I sent out a box of those .338 300 Matchkings today...you should get them in a week or so I'm told. Be careful...don't put your eye out [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img].
Old 10-12-2003, 06:30 AM
Silver Member

Hehehhh... thanks A LOT,Dave! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Busy hunting this weekend,just got home.Still raining a lot,it was good though.

Also another week coming for "Solo Sniping", the moose played tricks on us today,got two yesterday though. And the deer possibility is always there so it looks like a good week to me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Letīs see: Three Scenar rounds left means three deer / moose. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

EDIT: I always have our Shepherd ready for possible tracking in the dark, also the places to hunt are well organized,we always know if there are other hunters or anybody else around. So itīs not really "Solo", I will call people before I go and after a kill. So will everyone else in case they go during the week,most donīt go though.

[ 10-12-2003: Message edited by: Petander ]
Old 10-12-2003, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

I'm very glad I found this topic. I have some 250 grain .338 rounds for my new .338 Lapua. (no kidding) I just waiting for the barrel. Thanks for the info guys.