Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

.25 WSSM rifles

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Potters Hill, NC
Posts: 1,528
Re: .25 WSSM rifles

Not trying to be rude but, the first three post are 8 1/2 years ago (June 2004). The next two are 4 years ago (November 2008). JohnnyK.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-04-2013, 12:09 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern Wheat Field near Bennett, CO
Posts: 547
Re: .25 WSSM rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by high lonesome View Post
rechamber to a 25 Colt. I shoot a 90gr Barnes Solid at 3,650 fps, groups 5/16 at 100 yds and 1 1/4 at 300yds.
What do you mean 25 Colt?
I'm pretty sure you don't mean the tiny pistol cartridge from 1908.
So what then??
(Genuine question, no diss intended)

Noticed the 25 wssm brass is just a little hard to find for my 25 wssm Browning.
To get by, I recently bought 100 243 wssm brass from doghouseoutdoors.

Rifle Scopes, Binoculars, Acog, Hunting & Gun Parts
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Re: .25 WSSM rifles

25 Colt is a Wildcat design. 25 WSSM blown out. Burns powder more efficient, in turn more accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern Wheat Field near Bennett, CO
Posts: 547
Re: .25 WSSM rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by high lonesome View Post
25 Colt is a Wildcat design. 25 WSSM blown out. Burns powder more efficient, in turn more accurate.
Please do tell me more.
Am always looking for something different. Just thought the
25 Bobcat (25 wsm ) had too short a barrel life for me.
25 colt wildcat sounds like the one.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Re: .25 WSSM rifles

PM me and i'll send more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bycamper View Post
Please do tell me more.
Am always looking for something different. Just thought the
25 Bobcat (25 wsm ) had too short a barrel life for me.
25 colt wildcat sounds like the one.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: N.D.
Posts: 3,167
Re: .25 WSSM rifles

Oh, the joy of ressurecting dead threads.

Since it's alive I'll toss my .02 in.

The wssm cals. are notorious for not liking max loads. I shoot a 100 sierra with a start charge of H4895 and it's still around 3100 fps at 1/2 moa. With a top charge of Superformance it'll hit 3300 fps with the sierra at 1 moa. A start charge of h4350 with the 120 speer is its best load at about 1/3 moa at 2900 fps.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern Wheat Field near Bennett, CO
Posts: 547
Re: .25 WSSM rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Oh, the joy of ressurecting dead threads.

Since it's alive I'll toss my .02 in.

The wssm cals. are notorious for not liking max loads. I shoot a 100 sierra with a start charge of H4895 and it's still around 3100 fps at 1/2 moa. With a top charge of Superformance it'll hit 3300 fps with the sierra at 1 moa. A start charge of h4350 with the 120 speer is its best load at about 1/3 moa at 2900 fps.
Hmmmm. Not my experience at all.

I have 2: 25 wssm's so I can't speak for the 22 or 243 wssm.
Both of mine demand max loads or they will soot up the necks of the brass something awful.
Both the Winchester and Browning are accurate with many loads but only loads near max will seal up the
thick neck brass to the chamber.

How does your brass look with these light loads?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: .25 WSSM rifles
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
.223 WSSM or WSSM IMPROVED tbrown9124 Reloading 24 03-17-2011 11:51 AM
FS: 2 Browing 243 WSSM Rifles jreakens Guns For Sale 5 04-09-2010 05:45 PM
25 wssm or 25 wssm improved 40 degree or 25-284 reed mosser Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 9 03-20-2009 11:57 PM
90 SMK and .223 WSSM malcarjeb Long Range Hunting & Shooting 2 11-25-2007 09:04 AM
New WSSM in .223, Rifles available yet? nwcook Equipment Discussions 2 01-25-2003 02:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC