Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

25 STW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: 25 STW

Agunner012,

Funny you mention the 6.5mm WSM as I received notice from my reamer maker that my design for my version of the 6.5 WSM has been approved and should have been shipped on the 30th of August.

I designed this reamer for use in single shot firearms but in standard '06 actions it would work very well also.

What I did was take the SAAMI reamer print and tightened up the case body dimensions to min spec. Not tight, just min.

I then redesigned the neck area to what I call a semi-Match neck as it is should allow the use of 270 WSM brass to be necked down and used with no further neck turning needed but there will only be 0.0015" cleanance on firing.

Because of this I will instruct my customers to double check this critical dimension on their loaded ammo and turn their necks if needed to allow this 0.0015" clearance.

The throat is full blow match with a decently long throat to allow the long VLD bullets to be seated plenty far out of the case volume but not so far that hunting style bullets still could not be used accurately.

The throat diameter is 0.2642" so it is only 0.0002" over bullet diameter.

I call this my hunting/match hybrid neck/throat design and it has owrked very well providing match quality accuracy and consistancy without the need for major neck prepping.

I will be chambering an XP-100 handgun using a 1-8" Lilja 15" stainless blank with this new reamer and will use of for my deer hunting handgun this fall.

As far as what I think of this round, well I will let you know here in a couple weeks after I fully test the rig but from what I know of the 6.5-284, the WSM will be just more of the same thing but not so much to prevent decent volume shooting.

It will produce around 3200 fps out of a +26" rifle barrel with any of the 140 gr class VLD bullets which is a couple hundred over the 284 version.

I think it will be a hell of a big game handgun round as well as a long range rifle round.

I would say that 1500to 1 mile may be its effective limit at extreme range but thats a hell of a long way.

Compared to teh 25 WSM and the 270 WSM, I think its head and shoulders above those two. Its got the very high velocity with the lighter bullets liek the 25 WSM but it actually has higher S.D. big game bullets and much higher B.C. VLD bullets then the 270 and has the ability to drive them to very respectible velocities which allow it to outperform the 270 WSM at long range.

Like I said, my reamer will be here soon so I will giev a full report when I get to the range.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-06-2004, 06:20 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Fifty,

I would be interested in reading your range report. There was a lot of talk about 6.5WSM, and it seems to be quieting down a little. Good luck with it, and let us know how things turn out.

Andrew
Old 09-06-2004, 07:32 AM
daveosok

Fifty

With the STW already being in a mildly overbore condition in its 7mm config I would hate to imagin the barrel errosion when configured to a 25.
What could one expect with the mentioned velocities for barrel life?
I have a fella that wants just that, 3800 fps 6.5mm 140 plus grain bullets. I keep telling him that speed does not always equate to accuracy. I was a big follower of this thought process when I first started and have since come to the conclusion that most of the time your top velocity will not be the most accurate.
This is my own personal experience as to not take flak from folks on this site who may have reached their top velocity and top accuracy, I say well done to you and congrats I just havent managed it yet.
I drive my 7mm stw with 74.5 grains of H1000 and push the Berger 180 vld at 3100 fps out of a 34 inch Lilja barrel and that load gives great accuracy for me. I'm guessing here but if I rechambered it to a 7mm RUM the 20 or so grains more case capacity would probably net me maybe 300 fps more using the same Berger 180 grainers.
Thanks
Dave
Old 09-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Daveosok,

IF you are very consciencious of your shooting and keeping the barrel cool and clean, the 257 STW will provide at least 1000 rounds of quality accuracy life and some have reached 1500 rounds.

THis is a very short life for a varmint rifle but for a long range or big game rifle, it could be a lifetime of use.

Key is to take very good care of your barrel and use a quality barrel in stainless steel to begin with.

Your friend that wants 3800 fps with a 140 gr 6.5mm bullet is in my opinion dreaming a bit. Rounds like the 6.5 STW will deliever 3300 fps with long barrels with the 140 class bullets and any case much larger then this really does not offer alot more velocity in this caliber.

If by chance he could get the velocities this high, there is no match quality VLD on the market that would survive such a launch.

Well, the Wildcat bullets that Richard Graves builds may handle this as he can build bonded core long range designs but I have never heard of a 6.5 round that would drive this bullet weight this fast.

Other then that you would have to shoot either a Partition, X or some of the exotic solid alloy bullets and even these would be strained at 3800 fps.

Most match bullets will top out in the 3200-3500 fps range for peak accuracy and most calibers will be in the 3200-3300 fps range.

Again tight moa groups are far more important then hyper velocity.

I have seen accuracy come at low pressure/velocity levels and at pressures I would consider on the ragged edge of safety. It all depends on the rifle, the bullet and enough other factors to sink a ship.

If I were you I would keep your STW until you burn the barrel out. It is true the 7mm RUM is a larger case but not by the as much as you think. You may be able to get 20 more grains of ultra slow burning powder in the case but youwill get about 150-175 fps more velocity and not the 300 fps you are expecting.

In conventional rifles(26" barrels) the RUM will average 125 fps over the full length standard belted magnum rounds of same caliber.

Likewise, the 300 RUM will come within 125 fps of the huge 30-378 Wby with 180-200 gr bullets.

True with longer barrels the big Wby will gain more of a velocity edge but not more then 200 fps in my testing.

Still this is a major increase in performance but sometimes more then match bullets can handle.

IF you have guys wanting to use match VLD bullets in big cased rounds, remind them that these bullets have velocity limits and make sure they know this before they spend $3000 on a rifle that will drive a 140 gr bullet to 3600 fps but will only be accurate when driven to 3300 fps.

Been down that road early in my career and its no fun trying to explain things after the fact.

GOod Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-06-2004, 12:49 PM
daveosok

Tahnks for your reply, this will help me greatly in turning my buddy away from such an idea.
Hes dead set on it though and a few words of wisdom from guys like you can prevent such a mistake.
Thanks again.
Dave
Old 09-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Bronze Member

Fiftydriver, A Man after my own heart. Thats why I built a 30/378, 338/378 way back in '95 on a Hall G action with 30" Lilja tubes. That was my LR Varmint set up for heavy bullets with good BC for those thse 1000 plus shots on Coyotes. You don't have to convince me when it comes to BC over velocity, not counting wind drift which I too have erred on on more than one occasion.... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lee E. Jurras,

I know I do not have to convince you my friend. Just listed the comparison for those who do not realize what happens when those bullets get past the 1000 yard marker.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com