Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

.25 caliber options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

.25 caliber options

So I got mad at my .25-06 a while back and ordered a new barrel from Lilja. Now I have the barrel and am ready to send it off to have Dan Glover do his magic with it but am haveing second thoughts about my choice of caliber. I do not want to go AI with it as I don't feel there's enough gain for all the trouble.
So if I stay with 25 caliber any ideas on a clambering for antelope and some varmits?
(.......10 twist)
Old 04-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .25 caliber options

Only 1 option in my mind..........257 Weatherby Mag.

If you go to a larger diameter bullet, and want to utilize that same action without having to open up the bolt-face, .280 Ackley Improved is a great choice.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Gold Member

What are you trying to accomplish?

The weatherby is a bit hotter, the STW more so.

If you want to make the AI worth the effort, talk to Elkoholic about his Sherman's. He blows the sides out a bit and that added capaciity may gain you enough to warrant the AI concept.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

Not really sure what I'm after here. I won this thing as a door prize a couple years ago and decided to keep it but could have and should have sold it on the spot. I just could never get it to shoot even fair so had it looked at with a bore scope. Looks like I've been shooting rocks down it....so I'm more or less committed at this point after I just up and ordered and have now received a new Lilja tube. Now that I've given it more thought I probably would have made a different choice of calibers on the rebarrel.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Gold Member

In that case, with the new barrel, I would do 25-06, and have a sweet shooter with your new barrel.

But you have 2-3 options if you want to hot rod it a bit.

If you want to go to STW, it would require bolt work or a PTG upgrade. I think....
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, .257 STW requires opening up the bolt-face. So does going to .257 Wby Mag.

They .257 Wby Mag would be easier to find brass for, and cheaper to shoot. Barrel life would be slightly longer, and velocities are just a tad slower than the STW.

Personally, I think you should give the .257 Wby Mag a try.....You won't be disappointed.

But then again, it all comes back down to preference, b/c it is in the end, your gun.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Bronze Member

How about 25x284 just to be different? Plentyfull Brass and only needs necking .007". Use 6.5x284 Bushing Dies with the 25cal Bushings. Loaded with a Berger 115 VLD it would make a fine long range Cartridge.

Brit.