close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

25-06 vs 25-06AI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: 25-06 vs 25-06AI

Quote:
Thanks for the post Mike. A lot of good info there. You are driving a 130 gr bullet 150 faster out of the AI than a 120 gr bullet out of the standard? That sounds like a big step up in performnce. Are the barrels differnt lengths? And to show my ignorance, I didn't know a 130 gr bullet existed in a 25 cal? What barrel makers are making the canted lands barrels?

Thanks,

Mark
What limited test I managed to get done with mine yes the velocities were higher using the 130 in AI verses what I could get in my standard using the Speer 120. Yes the barrel lengths are 24 for the standard and 28 for the AI. Now here is the kicker on the loads, I shot the exact same one through both rifles, as I had some already loaded up for the standard 25. The new barrel is a 1-9 twist and being a bit faster upped the pressure on the load. I didn't mess with it much more than to shoot a few groups just to see how it was going to handle them, but enough to know I can easily beat what I saw by using a slower powder.

Like I mention different lenght barrels slower powders, different twist chambers and such can all add up to one being higher or slower than what folks might expect. That's why I added the note about watching for pressures above. Most factory barrels are 24" or even 22" on some, while a couple have been 26", and most in 1-10 twist. I had access to some 130gr Wildcat bullets a while back when the original owner was up and running so I grabbed some up. Wishing now I had grabbed more. He also made a 142gr as well, which I had hoped might stabilize in my 1-9 twist. No dice though it is simply WAY too long.

As for the makers, they have been posted and all make high quality barrels. Some however have more options on twist, length, and contour, than others for a halfway reasonable price. It all just depends on what the user wants in a finished rifle.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
    Unread 01-21-2010, 03:53 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
    Hi Mark! Broughton, Bartlein, and I think Krieger is coming out with one as well. Not sure who else. I have a 5r Bartlein on the way. Lonnie Hummel at Hornady also says they are a breeze to clean.......Rich
    P.S. The Sherman case should increase the velocity about 100 feet over his A.I.
    Rich, thanks for the info. I'll take a hard look at those barrels. What's the diff between a 5R and a 5C barrel?

That Sherman is a good looking case, but I think if I go for that much case I'll probably go the WSM route. Right now I'm thinking I just want the "good ole" 25-06 and what it can give me, and with my experience with RL17, that's quite a bit. Also been toying around with the idea of a 25-284 Norma It never stops

Thanks,

Mark

Unread 01-21-2010, 03:57 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 41mag View Post
    What limited test I managed to get done with mine yes the velocities were higher using the 130 in AI verses what I could get in my standard using the Speer 120. Yes the barrel lengths are 24 for the standard and 28 for the AI. Now here is the kicker on the loads, I shot the exact same one through both rifles, as I had some already loaded up for the standard 25. The new barrel is a 1-9 twist and being a bit faster upped the pressure on the load. I didn't mess with it much more than to shoot a few groups just to see how it was going to handle them, but enough to know I can easily beat what I saw by using a slower powder.

Like I mention different lenght barrels slower powders, different twist chambers and such can all add up to one being higher or slower than what folks might expect. That's why I added the note about watching for pressures above. Most factory barrels are 24" or even 22" on some, while a couple have been 26", and most in 1-10 twist. I had access to some 130gr Wildcat bullets a while back when the original owner was up and running so I grabbed some up. Wishing now I had grabbed more. He also made a 142gr as well, which I had hoped might stabilize in my 1-9 twist. No dice though it is simply WAY too long.

As for the makers, they have been posted and all make high quality barrels. Some however have more options on twist, length, and contour, than others for a halfway reasonable price. It all just depends on what the user wants in a finished rifle.
    Mike, thanks again. 4" in barrel lenght would help a lot. I'm hoping GS will come out with a 25 cal, low wieght, high velocity, high BC bullet soon. If they do,it should be a real screamer in the 25-06 and others.

Cheers,

Mark
    Unread 01-21-2010, 05:14 PM
    Bronze Member

I agree please use caution with different loads in your rifles. What is safe in my rifle may not be safe in your rifle, please start below max listed loads. I am shooting a savage I built using a 26" 1-10 twist 6 groove shilen. It has taken me a lot of time to find the best load possible using the 115 gr VLD's, but I built this gun to practice and have fun with. You should see what 85 grain nosler ballistic tip does to a coyotoe going 3900-4000 fps. I have emailed Hornady to build a 120 grain Amax, I think everyone should email them and tell them to crank them out!

Last edited by Nitroused383; 01-21-2010 at 05:17 PM.
    Unread 01-21-2010, 05:36 PM
    Bronze Member

I have two standard 25-06's. One is a Browning 78 with a 26" barrel and the other is a Mark V Weatherby Ultralight with a 24" barrel. My bullet of choice the last few years has been the 110 Accubond behind a stout load of RE-25. Case life is short as the primer pockets open up, but real accuracy only occurs with a heavy load as I get vertical stringing with less. I have no idea as to the velocity but at 58.5 grains it must be doing pretty good. The Browning really likes that load and now I am trying to find one as accurate for the Weatherby. It seems like 55.0 grains of RE-17 is also very hot but I have several pounds and was going to try some. I think I better start at 52.0 and work up. What charge did you start seeing pressure signs with RE-17? The Weatherby really likes 100 grain bullets with H4350 but the groups opened up quite a bit with RE-17. My 6x47 groups well with both RE-17 and H4350. I am hoping to find a super accurate load that works in both rifles but so far a load that shoots 3/4 moa in one shoots 1 1/2 moa in the other with the Browning the more accurate about 75% of the time but some loads are killer in the Weatherby. After reading the linked article about the 284 Winchester, I can see that I have a long way to go! Tom
    Unread 01-21-2010, 09:24 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bulseyetom View Post
    I have two standard 25-06's. One is a Browning 78 with a 26" barrel and the other is a Mark V Weatherby Ultralight with a 24" barrel. My bullet of choice the last few years has been the 110 Accubond behind a stout load of RE-25. Case life is short as the primer pockets open up, but real accuracy only occurs with a heavy load as I get vertical stringing with less. I have no idea as to the velocity but at 58.5 grains it must be doing pretty good. The Browning really likes that load and now I am trying to find one as accurate for the Weatherby. It seems like 55.0 grains of RE-17 is also very hot but I have several pounds and was going to try some. I think I better start at 52.0 and work up. What charge did you start seeing pressure signs with RE-17? The Weatherby really likes 100 grain bullets with H4350 but the groups opened up quite a bit with RE-17. My 6x47 groups well with both RE-17 and H4350. I am hoping to find a super accurate load that works in both rifles but so far a load that shoots 3/4 moa in one shoots 1 1/2 moa in the other with the Browning the more accurate about 75% of the time but some loads are killer in the Weatherby. After reading the linked article about the 284 Winchester, I can see that I have a long way to go! Tom
    Yes, your 58.5 RL25 load should be doing good. I oldest son has a std. 25-06 Sendero & I load 59.5 gr. of RL 25, CCI250pr & 115BT for just over 3200 to give you an idea.
    Unread 01-21-2010, 09:56 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Rich, thanks for the info. I'll take a hard look at those barrels. What's the diff between a 5R and a 5C barrel?

That Sherman is a good looking case, but I think if I go for that much case I'll probably go the WSM route. Right now I'm thinking I just want the "good ole" 25-06 and what it can give me, and with my experience with RL17, that's quite a bit. Also been toying around with the idea of a 25-284 Norma It never stops

Thanks,

Mark
    I'm pretty sure the 5r and 5c are both trapezoidal lands, just different manufacturers??