Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

25-06 vs 25-06AI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 25-06 vs 25-06AI

It appears you cannot attatch files on this forum. If anyone is interested I can email you my spreadsheet I have for all my load info with the 115 VLD's. I have played with all sorts of seating depths also, it seems to prefer a .040" jump. I have had best luck using the 270 brass as you can trim it to the length you need, I believe the neck is .040" longer or so? The 270 brass also seems to be a little tougher and last longer. I really want to try some 30-06 Lapua brass, because this Winchester brass doesn't hold WLR primers very well.

I was very reluctant to try the old IMR-4831 powder because of all the new powders that claimed better temperature stability and accuracy. IMR-4831 was designed for the 06 cartridge and it just flat out works. I really wanted H-1000 to be my most accurate load but I never could get the es below 40 fps. That IMR-4831 always seems to shoot 3427 with many many duplicate velocities Also testing CCI BR2 primers, CCI 250 vs Fed 210 and 215 primers, the accuracy and ES improved greatly with the CCI BR2's. Now if you can just get those WLR primers to stay tight in your brass oh baby =) Send me a private message with your email address and I will send you my info and some other emails from a very knowledgable shooter.

Also I encourage everyone to read this article, I know it is for the 284, but all of the reloading info carries over to any cartridge. It's a long read but it contains a ton of valuable information that may clear up a few things. This is the shooter I have got some loading info from. http://home.earthlink.net/~rfrailey/...84loaddata.pdf

Unread 01-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for sending the info.

Last edited by BillR; 01-22-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: email
Unread 01-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Gold Member

This is not intended to distract from the post, simply and hopefully to remind someone else who reads it, that you might hit some pressure issues WELL before getting to these loads in your own rifle. Please use the data presented here with a bit of caution.

While I have enjoyed reading through this post, some of the velocities are pushing the upper limits of pressure big time. I cannot deny that one rifle separate of another will have faster or slower velocities, but with some of these loads, things can get screwy fast.

I have shot both of these rounds and I agree that with a simple re-chamber from the standard to the AI version your only going to get, with equal pressures, a modest increase in velocity. However this said you will have to add powder to equal the pressures, and with the different chamber reamers, barrel twist, grove numbers and such and so fourth, you can see a tad more increase in standard length and a bit more in additional lenght barrels.

With my factory Remington 25-06, using moly coated 115gr Partitions I could get up to around 3250 pushing the envelope using RL-22, but this load suffered in accuracy. Dropping it down to 3150fps, not only got the accuracy but the ES was generally less than 10fps on a ten shot string. Granted with the RL powders you have to watch for differing lots, and as such I purchased several cans of the same lot.

With the newer AI version I have gotten about 200fps more using Lapua cases before seeing a sticky bolt. The AI version is a bit different however as it has a 28" 1-9 twist 5C barrel on it. It will however drive a 130gr bullet 150fps faster than the standard will do a 120gr, at around 3250fps which is what I was looking for with this rifle.

I wish you all the best with your build. It sounds like your really looking things over well. I also would suggest you look into the canted land barrels offered by several folks as well. They are very nice to bullets and in standard twist are reportedly a bit faster than the standard rifled versions. I can say that mine is a dream to clean, generally takes 10 or so strokes with the bronze brush, and about 10 patches start to finish. I haven't even gotten it completely broken in just yet.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Unread 01-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

This has been a great thread so far and more than I expected in the way of valuble info. Thanks a lot to all who have contributed.
Unread 01-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mag View Post
This is not intended to distract from the post, simply and hopefully to remind someone else who reads it, that you might hit some pressure issues WELL before getting to these loads in your own rifle. Please use the data presented here with a bit of caution.

While I have enjoyed reading through this post, some of the velocities are pushing the upper limits of pressure big time. I cannot deny that one rifle separate of another will have faster or slower velocities, but with some of these loads, things can get screwy fast.

I have shot both of these rounds and I agree that with a simple re-chamber from the standard to the AI version your only going to get, with equal pressures, a modest increase in velocity. However this said you will have to add powder to equal the pressures, and with the different chamber reamers, barrel twist, grove numbers and such and so fourth, you can see a tad more increase in standard length and a bit more in additional lenght barrels.

With my factory Remington 25-06, using moly coated 115gr Partitions I could get up to around 3250 pushing the envelope using RL-22, but this load suffered in accuracy. Dropping it down to 3150fps, not only got the accuracy but the ES was generally less than 10fps on a ten shot string. Granted with the RL powders you have to watch for differing lots, and as such I purchased several cans of the same lot.

With the newer AI version I have gotten about 200fps more using Lapua cases before seeing a sticky bolt. The AI version is a bit different however as it has a 28" 1-9 twist 5C barrel on it. It will however drive a 130gr bullet 150fps faster than the standard will do a 120gr, at around 3250fps which is what I was looking for with this rifle.

I wish you all the best with your build. It sounds like your really looking things over well. I also would suggest you look into the canted land barrels offered by several folks as well. They are very nice to bullets and in standard twist are reportedly a bit faster than the standard rifled versions. I can say that mine is a dream to clean, generally takes 10 or so strokes with the bronze brush, and about 10 patches start to finish. I haven't even gotten it completely broken in just yet.
Thanks for the post Mike. A lot of good info there. You are driving a 130 gr bullet 150 faster out of the AI than a 120 gr bullet out of the standard? That sounds like a big step up in performnce. Are the barrels differnt lengths? And to show my ignorance, I didn't know a 130 gr bullet existed in a 25 cal? What barrel makers are making the canted lands barrels?

Thanks,

Mark
Unread 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Thanks for the post Mike. A lot of good info there. You are driving a 130 gr bullet 150 faster out of the AI than a 120 gr bullet out of the standard? That sounds like a big step up in performnce. Are the barrels differnt lengths? And to show my ignorance, I didn't know a 130 gr bullet existed in a 25 cal? What barrel makers are making the canted lands barrels?

Thanks,

Mark
Hi Mark! Broughton, Bartlein, and I think Krieger is coming out with one as well. Not sure who else. I have a 5r Bartlein on the way. Lonnie Hummel at Hornady also says they are a breeze to clean.......Rich
P.S. The Sherman case should increase the velocity about 100 feet over his A.I.
Unread 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

Shilen is making a 3 grove rachet barrel that I have used for years and I cannot seem to foul it no matter how many shots I shoot thru it. If anyone at the stage where the are ready to build a good place to start is by googling theshooterscorner Bob white has a tight neck reamer for the 25-06AI and is a trustworthy person to deal with.