Here are the first shots to hit paper. The only other two shots from through it were out into my back pasture to make sure the load would form the cases properly.
I managed to get out to the range yesterday for a little while and get a few things accomplished. First I needed to bore sight and at least make sure I was on paper. The first shot was high and to the left. Not bad for just looking through the barrel and adjusting the scope with the rifle sitting on bags. The barrel was cleaned and oiled before the first and between each of the following shots. It was very easily done by the 5th of this series, and took very little time and effort.
This is the first 5 shot group fired through the barrel. The flyer was called as sometimes the fingers and brain seem to loose something in the process. I was also impressed with how little fouling presented itself and how fast the barrel cleaned.
Overall I am very pleased with things. The load was not one that had been studied. I simply grabbed some H-4831 off the shelf, picking the load off the lable, dropping it one grain. The load I used was 51grs that once the Uniflow measure had been set, was thrown. The Winchester 30-06 cases were not prepped in any way other than neck sized to a crush fit in the chamber. The bullets I had chosen for barrel break in and fire form load simply due to the fact I got 200 of them for only $20. They were Hornady 120gr FBHP, and I had shot some them well from my standard 25-06 when I first got it. I figured that they should work for my intended purpose. The primers were Win-WLR. The OAL was determined by simply seating the bullet until it would chamber and nothing else.
Might sound like shoddy loading and I admit I didn't put much into it. However I still ended up with a decent group. If I had done my part it would have been just under 1" easily as the 4 shot cluster is right at it. At this point I wasn't really looking for BR accuracy anyway just to work the barrel and form a few csaes. I am looking very forward to getting the dies and Lapua cases in so that I CAN do some serious development. I am only working with the Win cases to use them as a comparison to what I had previously loaded in my standard rifle.
The only thing I might still need to do is take it back and have it throated a bit deeper for the longer bullets. I know that the 142gr Wildcats will be sitting fairly deep in the neck once I get them formed but do not know at this time how much this will effect the velocity or accuracy. I am hoping that everything I have heard about the Broughton barrels will come out in this one and it will be a tad faster and very accurate. Only time and testing will tell. Next time to the range I will take my small press and see if a little deeper seating will improve or degrade the groups. If it improves, I might just have to drop in a little more powder as well. Hopefully I can find a fireform load which will shoot nearly as well as a full tilt load. Sure would make things a lot easier.