Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

.243 wssm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Bronze Member

.243 wssm

Hello. Does anyone do any long range shooting with a 243 WSSM and how do you like the gun??..It sure does seem like a small but NASTY caliber!..Thanks for your time and any help

baydog
Old 01-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .243 wssm

try finding brass for them at present

I've got a 25wssm and like it, but it feeds like a blind man designed the mag well.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
try finding brass for them at present

I've got a 25wssm and like it, but it feeds like a blind man designed the mag well.
lol.. thanks lefty7mmstw i seen a 243 wssm and a loaded round that goes in it this weekend and it looked like it would be a nasty little gun. do you know if it takes more powder than a 6mm or shoots any better than a 6mm because i know the only difference between a regular 243 and a 6mm is the case is same diameter and takes the same bullet but is a little longer so it uses a little more powder and they will in my opinion shoot a little better than the 243. I need to look up the load data on the 243 wssm.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydog View Post
lol.. thanks lefty7mmstw i seen a 243 wssm and a loaded round that goes in it this weekend and it looked like it would be a nasty little gun. do you know if it takes more powder than a 6mm or shoots any better than a 6mm because i know the only difference between a regular 243 and a 6mm is the case is same diameter and takes the same bullet but is a little longer so it uses a little more powder and they will in my opinion shoot a little better than the 243. I need to look up the load data on the 243 wssm.
We've had both the 6mm rem and 243... one of my pop's buddies has a 243 wssm... They are so close in performance I'd get what rifle you like and can actually find components to feed. It's a similar story to the 7rem and 7 roy; it's really more about what rifle you like than performance differences.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
We've had both the 6mm rem and 243... one of my pop's buddies has a 243 wssm... They are so close in performance I'd get what rifle you like and can actually find components to feed. It's a similar story to the 7rem and 7 roy; it's really more about what rifle you like than performance differences.
That is really they key, get what you like.

Wildcatters don't wait for components, they make them. There will always be some way to get/make 243 WSSM brass.

You can't go by someone elses recommendations for what to choose. You can listen to why they chose. For instance, it would be bad to take a recommendation from me. Simple, I like everything so my recommendation can't be trusted.

Example: I already have a 50's Win M70 Featherweight in 243 and a 1964 Sako L579 Forester 243 new in the box but I have a 6mm/243 barrel and actions with standard and magnum bolt faces. When the back log of projects catches up, I'm not sure what I will make. The 243 WSSM is on the list but is competing with a 6-6.5x47L for one reason, small primers.

Why would I make another .243/6mm class rifle? Because I can, because I've got the M70 figured out, because I won't shoot the Sako, because I can, because I would make it for target/comp shooting.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Yea Lefty I know I'm all over the board but after doing some reading and looking at ballistics and load data now I'm thinking that the 240 weatherby is about the best caliber if you want to shoot the 243 bullet. Like in need another gun..I have a remington model seven 243... had the same gun in 6mm and found the 6mm was a little better gun. Then bought a lot of guns in between 270 cal 25-06 cal 22-250 cal and wasn't to impressed with those guns so sold them, not that these guns are bad guns just not the guns for me. I still have my dads .308 remington 742 that came over on the mayflower lol.. thats a good gun but my favorite is my Remington Sendero 7mm mag. I've been shooting that for 10 years now and almost went with the stw but hard to find in the Sendero and pretty close to the 7mm mag also once you've owned a Sendero it's in your blood!..lol..So i have a Sendero 300 RUM coming. Not even going to take it out of the box.Sending it to gun smith to have muzzle brake put on it first. I also have in the back of my head a different small but bad ass caliber and now thats what got me on the 240 weatherby...I got to keep in mind that fishing season is around the corner too..lol..
Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

Depends on what you consider long range. I won a little browning bedded it into a new B&C. Shoots well with Berger 95 Grains. Had it out to 660 yards, 10 inch, or less groups. I relegate it to 400 or less for hunting. Based on the charts that's my comfort level on deer sized game. It's a truck gun. I like the caliber, hate Winchester brass as it takes a lot of culling then prep work and Winchester service stinks.

Oh and yes, feeding is difficult even after being worked over.