Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

.243 rebarrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2005, 02:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: .243 rebarrel

Jimm ,
I have a 1 in 9 twist and it shoots best with 55gn Noslers . Work that out !
Bear in mind that you probably won't be able to use the magazine in a Remy with VLD bullets unless you get a very short throat .
Old 03-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Aussie,

The most accurate rifle I have ever built for conventional range shooting used a 1-9 twist and put the 55 gr Ballistic Tips into groups consistantly in the low to mid .1"s.

On top of that, the rifle was chambered for a 6mm-06!!

Velocity was 4350 fps.

So we have a very long and skinny case design(supposedly bad for accuracy) combined with a vry light bullet at very high velocities that is vastly over stabilized.

Again, it is my opinion that if the rifle is built properly and the bullet will survive the launch velocity and RPMs, ase design means very little as far as accuracy goes.

Youe example is just another example of this fact!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Gold Member

Jimm,
The listed BC for the 90grn Scenar is .420, they are very nicely made and shoot superbly.
I have not tried the 105grn SMK yet but have had success with the 105grn Scenar which has a listed BC of .530,out of my 1-9 (and a bit) twist factory barrel.

In standard common calibres, Lapua brass and bullets are one of the things that are cheaper to buy here in Britain then the american equivalents.
I'm looking to forward to a progress report. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ian.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

Poor guy! It's just a shame you don't have the benifit of cheap REMINGTON brass and are stuck with LAUPA brass! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

3sixbits,Why is it so hard for rem.,win., etc. USA mfgs to produce quality brass?It's does'nt make sense !We will pay for it! ,be glad to have it usa, and ,and, and, sheesh,I just don't get it.The facilities are here and just for the record how /what percentage of shooters world wide are here vs. there/elsewhere? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jimm,

Its a money issue my friend, while most everyone on this board will shell out the green for quality brass, the VAST majority of American shooters and hunters could care less about brass quality of even load consistancy. Just look at how much factory ammo is sold every year and if oyu go hang out in your local gun shop for a period of time, you will see it is not the quality premium factory ammo that is flying off the selves, its the cheap stuff.

Point being, US brass makers make a load of money with the product they offer, why cut into their profit margins for added quality when their support base does not demand it?

For most of us here, we will happily pay more for better brass or spend hours prepping and machining US brass to get true match grade performance.

Money talks!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-21-2005, 07:08 AM
Silver Member

Centrepunch ,
What loads and velocities work best for you with the 90gn Scenar ? Am interested in trying it in my .243 AI.