Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

.243 for less recoil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

.243 for less recoil?

I'm considering getting a new rifle in .243 caliber to help with recoil. My .270 A-Bolt kicks the pure living crap outta me (on the bench - never notice it when hunting). I fired 40 rounds at the range yesterday and my shoulder still hurts from it.
Would a .243 really be noticeably better regarding recoil? I'm talking with approx. the same weight rifle.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .243 for less recoil?

[ QUOTE ]
Would a .243 really be noticeably better (than a .270Win) regarding recoil? I'm talking with approx. the same weight rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would with factory ammo. You can load the 270 down to .243 levels if you chose to. You could add weight to the 270 to lower the perceived recoil.

How does the .270 fit you? What type of recoil pad is on it? A good magnum style recoil pad can help a lot as well.

What type of shooting are you doing? Paper mostly, deer, larger game? The 270 is a great cartridge and so is the .243. For game larger than deer it is my opinion that the 270 is head and shoulders better. Even for deer at longer ranges, the 270 is superior.

Don't take this post as being biased. I don't own a .270 (but I've been around them). I do own a .243 and know its limitations. Even a light .243 with hot loads and a stiff/non-existant recoil pad can be painful for some people.

Hope this helps,
Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 03-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

Don,
I'm primarily a whitetail deer hunter, with pronghorns in the future plans.
I'm trying to shoot more paper to get better at longer ranges for hunting.
Rifle fits well now, magnum Pachmayr pad installed, also increasing l.o.p. for my long arms. Also have a leather cheek pad on it to keep my head up for proper sight picture.

From what you've told me, I'd probably be better off getting me some reduced recoil loads for the .270 and practice with them. Trouble is - I like to practice with what I'm gonna hunt with.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

Rather than changing calibers get yourself a good shooting rest with a pocket for the butt of the gun and just shoot with it when practicing. Takes most of the recoil, and you can shoot all day with out hurting your shoulder or worse developing a flinch!! Tod
Old 03-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
or worse developing a flinch!! Tod

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmhmm, I believe I'm too late as I'm afraid that's already happened, my friend.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Don,
I'm primarily a whitetail deer hunter, with pronghorns in the future plans.
I'm trying to shoot more paper to get better at longer ranges for hunting.
Rifle fits well now, magnum Pachmayr pad installed, also increasing l.o.p. for my long arms. Also have a leather cheek pad on it to keep my head up for proper sight picture.

From what you've told me, I'd probably be better off getting me some reduced recoil loads for the .270 and practice with them. Trouble is - I like to practice with what I'm gonna hunt with.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 270Win is a great caliber for those animals. I have a 7mm-08 A-bolt with wood stock, that kicks harder than it should. I also have a 7mmRM with a kevlar/foam stock that is lighter and has less felt recoil than it should. You might think about a different stock. Just my opinion??

I was also around a Ruger M77 that kicked like a mule, until it was glass bedded, then it was fine. I was told there was a "pressure point" that caused the severe recoil. Don't know if its true or if its an old wives tale, but I shot it before and after bedding, and there was a difference.

Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 03-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Gold Member

No way! Id give up a 270 for the 243! Not for deer and grasshopers anyway! Have you thought about a brake?

Is your 270 A-bolt in the lite stalker? My paw in law bought one in 270WSM....recoil aint the word for it! We fixed most of that with a SIMMS pad but youve already added the pachmayr....

Try lighter bullets 120 TSX....130 AB's

Not to say the 243 aint capable but Id add a brake way before I thought of giving it up for a 243.