Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

.243 improved help ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 PM

.243 improved help ?

Last night I was reading about .243 ai and stumbled on a thread were it was being talked about pro's, con's and so on but a post discussion about .243 improved lr was mentioned and vary similar to the ai but slightly different. The other chamber was 1 less gr of water butt shorter col . I think this would favor a gas gun better, does this sound familiar to any of you?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .243 improved help ?

You talkin bout this? Super LR
There are so many improved 243s that it's difficult to know.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 PM

Yes that's it, I tried all day and rite after I posted found it. How does it stack up against the 243ai ?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

My personal opinion on the .243 case is that any gains made from wildcatting it would be so minimal as to not be worth the hassle unless you just want something different. The .243 does not have a lot of body taper in its stock form and also has a fairly sharp shoulder and adequate neck.....Rich
Old 12-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have either. I've shot a 6XC for a while(another improved 243).
Just looking over the 243AI -vs- 6SLR
The 243AI has a 40deg shoulder and lower body taper than the 30deg 6SLR. It also holds a little more capacity. This would provide for better brass life, but at the further expense of barrel life(243 is already a barrel burner). 6SLR improves barrel life and brass life(a little)over a 243.

There may have been exceptional loads found with the 6SLR & this might tip the scale.
Another similar is the 6CM, which has made a lot of competitors happy.
6CM testing Results
Old 12-29-2012, 12:26 PM

How much of a gain is to be had in the throat erosion . I have read that even ackly thought the .243 was improved but made the chamber and was pleased with the decreases in brass stretch. Thanks to all for the insight.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

The gain in improving a cartridge with lower body taper and higher shoulder angles is:
- Target capacity for bullets and powders available
- Less brass stretch, so less sizing needed, so longer case life
- Improved internal ballistic efficiency, because more powder is burned in/near the chamber, instead of merely adding to bullet mass(increasing recoil and muzzle pressure)

If your talking throat erosion as a matter of flamepoint setup by shoulder angles, I don't know that this has been tested & proved beyond notion. But I don't know of anything 'bad' in higher shoulder angles -except for feeding. You might want to consider feeding, as not any ole action does this well with improved cartridges. At 40deg you may need single shot feeding, even with a coned breech.