Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tillamook, Oregon
Posts: 397
230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM

Ok, this is driving me nuts and I'm very close to ordering a box of the 230 hybrid targets. My question for those of you who have been playing with these is whether the jacket thicknesses between the two is the same? I see Broz and his son are having great success with the 230 OTM version on game-even comparing their performance to that of typical hunting VLD's. My understanding is that the nose is shorter on the OTM (creating lower B/C than the target version) for magazine fitting purposes but is this the only structural difference? I love the 210VLD out of my RUM but if the target version will work well on game I will gain almost 300lbs of energy and around 100fps at 1k. I e-mailed Berger on the topic and did get a response but did not really get my question answered. Frothing at the bit on this one!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
RLA RLA is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Posts: 57
Re: 230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM

I don't know this as Fact but the way I understand it. The OTM's have a thicker Jacket than the target. I am running 92g of H-1000 at around 3000 fps. My friends wife shot a cow elk yesterday with my 300 rum at about 80 yards. The elk was quartering away. The bullet entered the back of the ribs and looks like it broke into two pieces and destroyed the Lungs and heart. One exited the neck. Never found the other piece. But from what I have seen and what I have read about Broz's longer shots I think I found my new bullet. I will try to post some pics.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-08-2011, 01:03 PM
RLA RLA is offline
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Posts: 57
Re: 230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM

Here are the pics(I hope)
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM-alisons-elk.jpg   230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM-alisons-elk-1.jpg  

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,900
Re: 230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM

Wow, 3000 fps and at 80 yards with a Berger! The elk was DRT I'll bet. From some of the posts you read that bullet should have disinigrated into thin air and the lead and copper would have been collected by aliens while the cow ran off unhurt and no blood trail.

Nice shooting and it looks like no lost meat as well.

Good job!!

Jeff ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tillamook, Oregon
Posts: 397
Re: 230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLA View Post
I don't know this as Fact but the way I understand it. The OTM's have a thicker Jacket than the target. I am running 92g of H-1000 at around 3000 fps. My friends wife shot a cow elk yesterday with my 300 rum at about 80 yards. The elk was quartering away. The bullet entered the back of the ribs and looks like it broke into two pieces and destroyed the Lungs and heart. One exited the neck. Never found the other piece. But from what I have seen and what I have read about Broz's longer shots I think I found my new bullet. I will try to post some pics.
That's impressive!! It's neat to see that you're getting around 3000fps with it too. My hope is that I get between 2975 and 3000 out of my 27" barreled RUM. How long is your barrel?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tillamook, Oregon
Posts: 397
Re: 230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Wow, 3000 fps and at 80 yards with a Berger! The elk was DRT I'll bet. From some of the posts you read that bullet should have disinigrated into thin air and the lead and copper would have been collected by aliens while the cow ran off unhurt and no blood trail.

Nice shooting and it looks like no lost meat as well.

Good job!!

Jeff ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like your sense of humor Jeff! Sometimes you gotta wonder about those stories. Can you confirm what RLA mentioned about the Target bullet having a thinner jacket? That would be wonderful! My only concern then would be that the metplant is smaller on the target version (from what I understand) and I would be concerned about frontal area being too small to open correctly on game.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,900
Re: 230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
Can you confirm what RLA mentioned about the Target bullet having a thinner jacket? That would be wonderful! My only concern then would be that the metplant is smaller on the target version (from what I understand) and I would be concerned about frontal area being too small to open correctly on game.
Sorry, I can't help ya. We got the Hybrids in 300 /.338 and the 230's / .308 going and took em hunting for this year. Next summer we may look at other options but for now we are happy to have the testing done and the rifles shooting good. Oh, and the freezers full too.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 230 hybrid target vs. 230 hybrid OTM
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
338 300 Hybrid One Click Down Reloading 2 01-23-2011 02:09 PM
FS Hybrid 300 WSM Scout1 Guns For Sale 12 12-13-2010 10:02 PM
Hybrid 100 powder elkaholic Reloading 1 05-04-2010 11:33 PM
340 WBY 185 Barnes MRX Hybrid 100 captainmike73 Reloading 6 09-07-2008 09:20 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC