Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

224 Allen Magnum testing finished............

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: 224 Allen Magnum testing finished............

Roy,

With WC872 top loads were in the 98% load density range, US869 and AA8700 were around 95% with my lots of powder.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lovetohunt,

I am sure the 6 groove goes along way to getting better performance with these bullets. It may also help with the 100 gr pills as well as would a 5R or 5C barrel.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dave,

I tested with both, very similiar results in this short fat case design. I will say the front ignition required about 3 grains more powder to match velocity. Velocity spreads were tighter with the front ignition but only at top end pressures.

Accuracy at low end was about the same with both, very good.

I suspect the forward ignition will offer more advantage in the larger rounds. I am going to play with it in my 338 AM here when I get a chance....... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lerch,

No its not dead, just in the rethinking stage currently. Seeing the groups those 100 and 107 gr pills make when they are in their comfortable RPM range is hard to forget about.

There will be something built for these bullet, just a matter of what it turns out to be???

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

R.M.,

I agree, they do shoot well once you get them where they like to be, I think I just got a bit creedy is all with the case capacity I was using.

Richard is working on the bonded ULD RBBT in larger calibers. If he gets it figured out it may help us here as well, we will have to see.

Richard was talking about a bullet designed for big game hunting with a FB, bonded core and 6 ogive. Not as sexy as the ULD RBBT but I think he said he may be able to push 110 gr in weight. Would still have a hell of a BC for a 22 cal bullet. Will learn more this weekend, my wife and I are heading up to stay with Richard for a few days over the long holiday weekend. Should be fun. I expect to spend many $$ as a result of out talks about bullets and wildcats this weekend!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-29-2006, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Richard is working on the bonded ULD RBBT in larger calibers. If he gets it figured out it may help us here as well, we will have to see

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yes, and they're going to make my 300 sing! The day is finally near.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2006, 09:07 AM
Silver Member

Kirby, Disappointing to hear the outcome of the testing of the 100 & 107 ULD's in your 224AM, as I am about to send my 6.5 twist Krieger (4 groove) to my gunsmith to get attached to a Rem 700 LA, and be chambered for the .224 Clark.

I just calculated that the "ceiling" of about 3,000 fps with the 7 twist barrel equates to about 308,000 rpm. This doesn't augur well for my hopes of about 3250 fps with the 100 grain bullet in the Clark, as it will be producing 354,000 rpm in the Krieger 6.5 twist.

In your testing with the 224 AM, as the accuracy deteriorated as you progressed from 3,100 to 3,350 fps, with both the 100 and 107 grain bullets, were the bullets holding together, or were some or all not reaching the target?

I have some of Richard's original batch of 100 grain ULD's which were made using the J4 jacket. Another tester here in Oz, found that with this bullet in his 7 twist 22/6mm AI, the accuracy at 3,100 was good, but 3 of the 13 shots fired did not reach the 300 yard target.

Richard told me several months ago that he was using a thicker 6mm jacket for the 107 grain bullet, but had to overcome jacket problems before he would send them to me. I assume that he had solved this problem with the 107's you were using, yet they still did not perform as hoped at the higher velocities despite the thicker jacket.

Prior to ordering the Krieger 4 groove barrel, I rang their technician, and he was confident that this would work well, and that the extra expense ($75) of a 6 groove was unnecessary. I hope that decision doesn't come back to bite me.

It just occured to me that the 142 grain 25 cal ULD I will be using in a several weeks time in a 257 Weatherby with 7 twist Krieger should be reaching 3,200 fps and 329,000 rpm. Do you believe there is any reason for concern about this J4 jacketed bullet holding together? I do have some 156 ULD's for back up.

I deeply appreciate the way you share your testing information on a variety of cases, and I certainly have learnt from your experiences. Regards, Brian.