Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

.224 Allen Mag is almost here!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: .224 Allen Mag is almost here!!!!

Sewwhat89,

Any receiver that can be chambered for a belted magnum case head will work with the 224 AM.

I am not sure what the RP means in your post, please clearify before I respond, want to make sure we are talking about the same thing before I say yes or no.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Brian,

To be honest, I am hoping to get anything at 3400 fps or more. TO he honest, 3300 fps with these bullet would be retty damn impressive but I am hoping to break 3400 fps. To be honest, I have no idea what to really expect with this round and bullet combo, will be fun to see what happens.

I am using this receiver because it is sitting here in my shop fully accurized and ready to build on, thats it pure and simple. The throat on my 224 AM reamer is pretty short so I think it may still feed easily in the Rem 700, again, we will see. You are correct though, a Rem 700 LA would make things easier for a repeater but as I have this SA sitting here(and already paid for [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), I will put her to use.

The receiver is a .470" bolt face receiver which is why I will get an H-S Precision DM system if I decide to go with a repeater.

Yes it is easy to open up a standard bolt face up to .535" and even .590" for that matter for my 7mm AM with the Lapua case head size. Will just fit a Sako extractor to the bolt.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Roy,

Yes, that has me a bit curious as well. There are alot of issues that may arrise with this little monster. It will surely be the most extreme of the Allen Mags to date, even more so then the 257 AM I am predicting.

I will start with my standard WC872 and possibly try 8700 or Ramshot Magnum if 872 proves to slow.

Again this is a 100% experimental idea to see if we can stub our toes on the performance limits. We will see here soon.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-01-2005, 10:15 AM

Kirby, your post does not say--is that 107 a .22 cal bullet. What is the length of the bearing surface? Is it longer than the 80 SRA? If so, might you not need a quicker twist? Not sure how much quicker one can get, though. Just my thinking as I read your post. FWIW Jim
Old 12-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Gold Member

Remington (Old school was Remington/Peters)

Just force of habit.

So you can open up a standard bolt face to the WSM bolt?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

Kirby,
Will you be putting a Holland QD brake on that gun? I think a Kick Sissy like myself would want one.

Perhaps someday you could have an "Allen Mag" open house at the range in GF and folks could fly in and see (and shoot) the guns.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Sewwhat89,

Thanks exactly what I thought you were referring to with the RP but as a gunsmith I have learned long ago to make sure both parties are talking about the same thing to prevent any future problems.

Yes, it is a simple matter to open up a standard bolt face to that of a magnum bolt face and then machine a Sako extractor in the bolt.

Good Shooting!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com