Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

210 Nolser ALR. 1st BC test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
210 Nolser ALR. 1st BC test

I'm not going to get into my methods of testing BCs. I really hate to be that way but some of you guys here make these monsters. "You didn't do this right, how do you know you did that right?" "Are you an engineer? yadayadayada and I'm not in the mood to hear it. Around here it seems like you need a physics degree and 100,000 dollars worth of the highest grade of technological equipment known to the aerospace industry.

Now that I'm done with my soapbox, all I will say is that after a very tedious and thorough test (albeit this is still a work in progress) I think it is safe to say that these have a BC of roughly 4-1/2% less than that of the 208 AMAX.

Before any of you throw any flame, get out there and prove me wrong unless you already have.

Regardless, I know that just looking at these it is pretty obvious that these are no where near the .73 that Nosler claims. At least not in the real world. Between a couple of other experimenter's results and today's evaluation, I think it could be considered a fact at this point that they are much closer to the 210 Berger and 208 AMAX than .73 and most likely, lower than these. I realize that this was only one test and more is needed for the most accurate numbers, but I am confident this test is really close.

While it is a bit disappointing as I was hoping for at least a BC equal to the 208, maybe a bit better but I still think that this is a big step in the right direction. IF they do open and expand reliably at or below 1500'sec, AND hold up well on bone impact on larger game such as elk, then it is a HUGE step in the right direction.

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: 210 Nolser ALR. 1st BC test

I think most expected that noslers claims were a little high. All I can say is a hunting bullet with near to the same bc as an amax makes me a happy man! I had an email conversation with hornady about a year ago about making a bonded amax and they said that they had no plans of ever making such a bullet. I bet they will be rethinking the idea.
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 06-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Bronze Member

Well that is disappointing.
What have you found as your corrected BC. for the 210 Berger and or 208 A-Max?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Not surprising to me as you already know. What velocity range did you test the BC (G1 I'm assuming) ?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Michael, I trust your results with out debate. Thanks for saving me a lot of time and components. .602 is the number then huh?

How were the groups at distance and how far have you shot them?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 06-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
I think it could be considered a fact at this point that they are much closer to the 210 Berger and 208 AMAX than .73 and most likely, lower than these.
M
Michael,

Thanks for the information and I agree. I didn't hold much validity in their advertised BC claims but hope the new line holds LR groups well. I will be developing the ALR for a 7 Mag as soon as the 175s come out. I should have solid results then.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Bronze Member

ok so we finaly have data also on them. we found the advertised bc to be high also we came up with .670. the grouping was outstanding we took to 300wm senderos to 1/4 moa in less than 2 hours at 2800 fps we shot them at a clay bank that we have tested mant bullets in and at 700 yrds they held 60-70% retinion berger is going to have a run for thier money even with the lower bc.