Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

204 testing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 204 testing

3950 with a 40 grainer is pretty respectable & to have it be the most accurate as well is just icing on the cake

I'd say that load warrants more testing, well done.

t

Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

I was thinking the same thing. Appreciate the input.

Factory ammo is showing to be .170 off the lands and I loaded these at .075. I have not tested any other seating depths yet.

I was thinking about going back to the 4064 and adding .5 grains to see if the pressure is still good. I actually never did run 4064 to a pressure node. However 4895 was ran at 27 grains and flattened/cratered the primer. I think I am done testing that powder.

I was thinking of testing both the super and 4064 again with deeper seating depths and see how it goes. Does that sound like a good plan?
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

It can't hurt you. You get some more trigger time & you gain knowledge. The barrel life on the 204 is pretty good so I don't see any issues there either.

Why not? If you like to fiddle around (I know I do) I'd say do it. At least with the SuperFormance.

With a .20 cal pil, I wonder what the effects of bullets seating depth have in comparison to a big 7 or 30? See? Justification right there

t

Old 04-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Bronze Member

i recently got a ruger #1 in 204, and am really liking the cartridge! so much that i am doing a rem 700 already. i really wish reloading stuff would settle down and start to show back up in the real world. hornady is the only brass i have been able to find, and it doesn't seem like it is going to go more than 2 or 3 firings. i have also seen a lot of input about remington 7 1/2 primers not showing cratering as bad as the others (i have been using winchesters), but i haven't seen any since i bought the rifle!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

I bought 1000 fed 205, 210, and 215 primers. I won't shoot 1000 205's any time soon so I am good. Around here powder and bullets are the hard thing to find. Drives me crazy. I am pretty sure the store workers are hording it and calling their buddies. Saw a truck pull in last week and hazmat pallets were unloaded. Yet no supplies were available to the guy on the street. Hmmmm
Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
I bought 1000 fed 205, 210, and 215 primers. I won't shoot 1000 205's any time soon so I am good. Around here powder and bullets are the hard thing to find. Drives me crazy. I am pretty sure the store workers are hording it and calling their buddies. Saw a truck pull in last week and hazmat pallets were unloaded. Yet no supplies were available to the guy on the street. Hmmmm

Hmm, indeed. Go figure, 204 projectiles are quite abundant around here lol I've got about 600round of brass safed also.

I've got a dead ejector spring otherwise I'd probably be spending more time with the old girl... I get a little annoyed when it won't kick out a casing...

t

Old 04-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

I called around for Retumbo, Super, and bergers. Nothing. LOL same old story. Forget about 4831 or 4350 etc.

The only reason Retumbo is flying off the shelves is people had to try it. Now they seek it. Crap.