Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

200 Grain Wildcat - so far so good

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 200 Grain Wildcat - so far so good

Round holes and good accuracy don't necessarily mean you're getting the most from the bullets, though. As I meantioned in the other thread, if it's yawing more out of the muzzle it can hurt its BC.

Also something some may forget about--punching a hole in paper isn't all you ask a hunting rifle to do. One of the reasons I'm leaning toward a faster twist 300 is for on-game performance. Less chance of tumbling on impact and straighter penetration with the long heavy bullets (especially bonded). If Richard gets me the 240's before I get a new barrel, I'll test them and use them if they do OK, but I'm slowly convincing myself they'll do better with a faster twist.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks

I have a single shot so it is always single feed.

O.7 inch bearing surface will be good. It is too late for this hunting season to get a new load ready because I am so far down the road with the 160 Accubonds, but there is always next year.

The way I measure bearing surface is to hold two of them against each other and to place the caliper jaws where ever I begin to see daylight - real scientific. But when your throat is measured in miles instead of hundredths of an inch it doesn't much matter

Thanks again
Old 07-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

Guys:

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I fully agree with what Kirby and Jon A have said, and felt that way before they posted.

Please don't get the wrong impression and think that these things are "stabilized". They are simply making round holes and that's all.

Even if they do shoot accurately at longer ranges and still make round holes they will, as far as I'm concerned, not be fully stabilized because of what they are being shot out of.

I am simply playing and experimenting until the new gun gets here. Shoot, if Richard made a 300 grain 7mm ULD I'd probably try it for now just to see what happens.

I believe that the only way these big pills will perferm as desired, and designed, is to shoot them in a much faster twist barrel, and that is coming. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Gold Member

Thanks ss7. I will see if I can get my hands on some asap.
I would be hopeing for 3000 fps in my Rum. We will see!
Old 07-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

7RUMloader:

If Richard doesn't have any let me know and I can probably spare some.

I'm limited by case capacity much more than you, but that will be remedied shortly I hope. I will try compressing a little more if the test loads work o.k. and see what happens. I think I could get 2900 but that's probably about the most with my rig.

Waiting for a new gun is worse than cabin fever.......

Even your 1-9 will be marginal but they'll be fun to shoot and test. Go for it!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Gold Member

I'm emailing him now to add to an earlier order for some 270 cal 169.5's for my first APS rig and more 7mm 169.5's that have been working great in my Rum.
Cabin fever it's more like being tied up in a straight jacket. I've been bouncing off the walls counting the days and weeks as my parts are still on order.
I get excited hearing Bill Bailey and Lerch will be getting theirs here soon to give us some range reports on their turf. I expect that the Chucks in their area will be running for cover when the UPS truck arrives with the package from APS!
Old 07-21-2005, 01:48 PM
SPONSOR

IF their were any chucks around here I swear to you they would be in trouble, but all we have is prairie dogs and I think they are a little smaller. we went pdog hunting last night and kept thinking about my UPS delivering my Allen Mag in a couple of weeks so I had to ask the prairie dogs "What can Brown do for You". [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Take it Easy
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST