Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

200 Grain Wildcat - so far so good

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 200 Grain Wildcat - so far so good

[ QUOTE ]
I still would not recommend the 169.5 gr ULD RBBTs for a 270 Win velocitys in a standard twist barrel.

<font color="blue"> I agree with you, I wouldn't recommend their use in 270 win vel and std twist. But its like the fly and the light, they are so purdy I had to experiment.</font>

Glad they are working for you and let us know how they perform if you use them on game!!

<font color="blue"> I wouldn't say that they are "working" for me just because the holes were round. What I was impressed with was the velocity of 2900 fps. That's pretty high for a winny. I'll drop back to the 140s for game.</font>

<font color="blue"> What my question really is is: "Is a bullet 'fully' stabalized just because the hole in the target is round. (don't let all the is's confuse ya [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) The rifle and I are capable of 1" or better @ 200. These bullets went right at 2.5" @ 200 w/a sd of 0. That is, all 6 groups (3 shot) were right at 2.5" @ 200. Pretty consistent. Hense, Minutes of Muley vs Minutes of Rockchuck.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

sscoyote:

We are having the same heat problems here. That's why I waited until late yesterday. I actually drove up in the hills at about 3500' elevation and did the shooting. That way I could set up my shooting stuff in the shade. It was 94 degrees at home but only 78 degrees where I was shooting.
They do let you know when they hit something that's for sure.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

7RUMloader:

Yes I did. I chrono everything I'm testing. The top load I quit with went through at 2850 fps.

That's a far cry from what the 7mm Allen Mag will do, but for now it's fun playing with them.

None of the loads I shot indicated pressure in any way and all were easy fingertip extraction. Like I mentioned, the load I quit on was 103% fill and if the loads I try do o.k. then I'll kick that up a little to see what happens.

Even though they spit out slower than the 169.5's, Exbal says they catch up and start to kick butt at the ranges where it really counts.

It takes a little to get that big pill going, but once it's going not much effects it.

Give Richard a call and try some. You'll never know what they do in your gun unless you try them.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

buffalobob:

The bearing surface is about .701". That will vary depemding on what you use, and how you use it to measure the length.

To get them out that long and be .020" off the lands it means single feed but I knew that going in.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby:

I know what you mean about the surprise. I fully expected to see some really funny holes in the paper but so far they are nice and round. I'd of bet money they would be flopping like a fish out of water but who knows why they didn't. Shape of bullet, bearing surface, ogive etc., velocity??? Some combination seems to work, at least for now.

I can't wait to see what the results will be with the 1-9 barrel with your 7mm Allen Magnum. Don't know what that other round is you're talking about, but I know you're testing, and building for me, a 7mm Allen Magnum. It's going to be interesting seeing the results you get with the 1-9 and then progressing to the 1-7 barrels!!!

I don't think you'll get the same results with your 1-9 as I did. I think you will do better.

I fully agree that the 1-7 is probably the best combination and would also prefer to spin them a little more than needed as opposed to not enough.

I did talk to you guys about the twist factors and in fact talked to Richard just recently about this and he also felt that the faster twist would be better. The general concensus is I'm about at least 2" off in twist. I didn't think it'd work, but I'm getting antsy about the new gun so just decided to go out and play, thinking I'd make a couple of keyholes and then quit.

I still wouldn't bet they will work well in my twist but I'm going to find out. I know for now they are punching round holes but the proof will be in the groups and shooting at longer ranges.

One thing I'll mention that I noticed as soon as I switched to the 200's was that I could feel a difference in gun torque with the 200's.

That's a big pill to launch out of a 7mm, but there's no mistaking when and where they hit.

Guess I'll just keep playing with my toy gun until the new package arrives with the real 7mm Allen Magnum.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Roy,

A simple answer to your question, "Is a bullet fully stabilized if its making round bullet holes?" is NO.

THere can be significant yaw in a bullet even with a round bullet hole. IT does tell us that we are at least very close to stabilization by getting consistant round bullet holes.

The hardest test for a bullet in my opinion is in very cold temps at high altitudes.

Also, terminally, a bullet on the fringes of stability will generally tumble after impact whereas a bullet that is fully stabilized or rotating more then required will often penetrate straighter. Now there are more variable to this obviously so take this as a simple comment that a fully stabilized bullet will penetrate straighter then a marginally stabiled bullet. With an expanding bullet this is less dramatic but in tests with the big bore rifles firing solids, this has been proven true.

Basically the best teller of bullet stability is to test at extended ranges and see what the groups look like. Marginally unstable bullets will result in larger groups the a properly stabilized bullet.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

ss7mm,

I will report soon.

We are just waiting on the stock my friend, and the base that is on backorder from Nesika. McMillan is backing me up in a serious way!!!!

Lets just say August and September will be a blurr spent in the shop!!

I will let you know how the 200 gr do in the 1-9 and what we can drive them to in the 26.5" barrel.

Good testing!!! Very interesting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com